After applying a new license file on Symantec Mail Gateway (SMG), the definition files fail to update and the log reports the following errors.
The license file appears valid :
|Symantec Antispam:||Expires January 01, 2022|
|Symantec Antivirus:||Expires January 01, 2022|
|Symantec Premium Content Control:||Expires January 01, 2022|
However, the Spam Definitions cannot be updated.
|Spam definitions:||2 Days Ago|
|Customer-specific Spam definitions:||5 Days Ago|
|Virus definitions:||126.96.36.199 / 20210104.019|
This issue can occur as a result of corrupted definition files.
Release : 10.7.3-5
Component : SMG
To resolve this issue the licensed system may need to be reset. Follow the instructions below:
Please perform the following steps to reset the license data on the SMG system:
1. Log into the admin command line on the affected SMG system via ssh/putty
2. Stop the MTA service via `service mta stop`
3. Purge the old license data from the system via `license-control --remove --force`
4. Reset the anti-spam definitions via `delete dayzerorules intsigrules regexrules spamhunterrules spamsigrules bodyhashrules statsigrules`
5. Re-register the license from the SMG Control Center
6. Restart the MTA service via `service mta start`
Please note that this operation should be undertaken during a period of low usage as it is disruptive.
After applying these steps you should restart the Control Center (CC).
See also the related knowledge document, which covers this same error.