Migrating SMF Director to new VTS; moving from IBM TS7720 to IBM TS7760
Customer needs assistance moving SMF Director data/tapes to new VTS.
Release : 12.7
Component : CA SMF Director
What the customer will want to do is as follows:
1) Run a TAPEINIT for all configurations so that new dumps will go onto new tapes in the new Tape System (TS).
2) Run a BACKUP of the SCDS after the TAPEINITs
3) Change the configurations (if needed) to use the new TS. If the esoteric name is the same, then this doesn't require any work. Once this is done, SMFD can begin writing new SMF history files to the new TS.
Once that's set up and running, the project of moving the older data begins.
The customer needs to run a LISTH report to get a list of all of the history files indexed in the SCDS. From that they'll need to move the desired datasets to the new TS however they like. We certainly recommend for ease of use, a 1-for-1 volume copy, meaning that all of the attributes of the files will be the same, other than the Volume Serial number. Once everything is migrated, they can generate UPDTX statements to change the VOLSER and, if necessary, the FILESQ number to the appropriate file # on the volume.
Once the statements are constructed, they can test some out by taking a BACKUP of the SCDS and use that to make a test copy of the SCDS. To make a test copy, just allocate a new SCDS file and restore the BACKUP to that data set. Once they run a few of the UPDTX statements, they should be able perform an extract using the test SCDS to get the data from the new TS. Once they've confirmed their UPDTX test works they can run the full set into the test SCDS to ensure that everything works as expected.
When they're ready to update the production SCDS, they'll want to follow this procedure:
1) Run a BACKUP of the production SCDS
2) Run the UPDTX statements and update the entries,
3) Verify with some test extracts that the older SMF history is available.
4) Once verified, run another BACKUP of the SCDS to capture the update.
We recommend you try out the migration with a test SCDS before changing the production SCDS. Just take a BACKUP of the SCDS and restore it to a different file as a test SCDS and try your migration plan out with that SCDS.