Operator console inaccessible after upgrade.
Received an error: "HTTP status 404 - Not Found with message " The requested resource [/operatorconsole_portlet/] is not available
Description: The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is not willing to disclose that one exists"
Rest API test verified all calls to the API after login resulted in 401 error. Logs showed "Invalid or Missing Header".
This issue was because the adminconsole war file in the install folders was unable to extract all the contents.
We were suspecting the issue could be with the size of the header or some encoding/decoding issue during the transmits. This may have been triggered by the Customer network unable to transmit the Request Headers to the OC Server.
Release : 20.3.2
Component : UIM - OPERATOR CONSOLE
1)Manually deploying ump_adminconsole.zip from archive to Primary Hub server resolved the issue. We suspect this is primarily due to the corrupt software running on the server.
2) Requested that customer network security team address network related issues affecting header
We replaced UMP/WASP common JARs used for authentication with OC 20.32 version deliverables but the issue still occurred. We restored the original JAR files from UMP_20.32_HF1.
We then verified the OC API from Swagger UI by passing a small Authorization header from the Customer browser. This is also resulting in the same "Invalid or Missing Header" error message in WASP
Logs. Header values are discarded in the Client system before sending requests to OC.