Regarding your issue with Resource Manager (Auto) right on some resources. This is actually not a defect in the application. We tested creating a new user, then clearing up the Manager field and this worked to remove the right. You should only be careful and clear the actual OOTB field from the Resource list after adding it and it works great. Make sure you do not confuse it with any custom field, you have to update "Manager" or "Resource Manager".
Now why there are orphans and the rights still there although the field has been reset to Administrator? We suspect this was due to a database update done to erase the manager and set it to admin. This being done from the backend, the scripts to remove the rights did not run. We do not recommend doing this as it's an unsupported way to do it.
To fix the problem, please do the following:
- Identify the resources that have the right stuck behind (i.e. Jane Doe still has Resource Manager (Auto) in License Information
- Identify the reporting resources they had i.e. John Smith
- Add the Manager field to Resources list
- Find the reporting resources by the list First name/Last name ( i.e. John Smith)
- Set the manager on the resource to Jane Doe, Save
- Now remove the manager or set to Administrator, Save
This should remove the orphaned permission. We tested it and it works every time.
Keep in mind this is not a recommended use of the application. The design is to be using the Manager field and the Resource Managers are considered to be having a Full license.