SUMMARY: By allowing department code to be updated that could already be used in projects, transactions etc.. which can create issues with data still referencing a department code which no longer exist.
The main issue is that Classic is allowing the admin to change the Studio configuration to remove the 'Enter Once' flag on the field in the properties page view for the Department Code field on the Department Object. If the admin does the same thing for the Location Object to remove the 'Enter Once' flag on the Location ID field, the field will remain read-only - so there must be some built-in logic that keeps the Location ID field as read-only versus the Department ID field becoming editable after removing the Enter Once flag. The Department ID field should behave the same as the Location ID field.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. Login to Clarity as an Administrator
2. Navigate to Administration, Studio: Objects and search for Department
3. Click on the Views tab
4. Click on [Fields] under Department Properties
5. Click on properties for Department ID and notice you can uncheck "Enter Once" which in turn will allow users to change department code
6. Go to Home, Departments to see the list of departments
7. Click into a Department record
8. From the Properties Tab pull-down and go to Locations
9. Try to 'Remove' an existing Location that is already used in the application and you get the appropriate message
10. Go back to the Department's Properties page and change the Department ID value and click 'Save'
11. Go back to the Locations list and try to remove the location again, you get Error 500 - Internal Server Error. The server could not retrieve the document due to server-configuration or other technical problems. Contact your site administrator.
Expected Results: The application should not allow Department ID to be editable since it has reference to financial data.
Actual Results: The application allows the administrator to uncheck "Enter Once" for the Department ID field and hence becomes editable for which can cause issues if the value is changed.
Workaround: Do not uncheck "Enter Once" for the Department ID attribute. If the value is changed, change it back to the original value.
Release : 15.8.1
Component : CA PPM SAAS USERS, GROUPS, OBS ADMINISTRATION
DE58771, NAB (Not a bug).
Note: Do not uncheck "Enter Once" for the Department or Location ID attribute.