In my CA 7 started task, I see this error:
CAL2SM01W Area: HIS DBID: 0770 Full: 95.00% DSN: xxx....
How can I tell if this is a problem or not, and how do I deal with it?
Component : CA Datacom/AD
This message is produced when a CA 7 data or index area reaches the threshold of percent full.
This situation with a CA 7 database area becoming full is most times not critical, and can usually be addressed without taking an outage of your application.
For general information and background, please refer to Knowledge Base article 10053, titled "How to manage CA Datacom database space (z/OS 2.1 and higher)." This article will explain the processes for managing CA Datacom database files.
Because of CA Datacom processing, you may not have a problem with the area described in the CAL2SM01W message. If the file for this area is not yet at 16 extents, then as this area reaches 100% full, it will dynamically add another extent, based on your Datadictionary-defined dynamic extend amount, or the z/OS file secondary allocation amount (provided that space is available on the volume). Nothing special needs to be done, as this all happens automatically. Optionally, there is a command to allocate and configure a new extent of any size, regardless of the dynamic extend setting, that would be used. For more information about this process, please review Knowledge Base article 9503, titled "How to extend a CA Datacom area while the database is open."
To determine if any special processing is needed, you will need to review a CXX report for the database or area, and a z/OS catalog listing of extents for the file (generally seen in ISPF 3.2). Run the DBUTLTY program to produce the CXX report using this input:
Next, review the Space Utilization Report (from the TYPE=A report), and if any area is above 90%, for example, review the ISPF 3.2 allocation display as noted below.
Here is an example of this research, using area HIS at 95%.
1. According to the CXX Type=A report, none of the areas are interesting except for HIS:
2. The HIS area is defined in the CXX report (the right side of the details) as being able to use Dynamic Extend features, and has no extend amount defined here, so it will default to use the z/OS catalog secondary allocation:
3. According to the z/OS catalog, each new dynamic extent will be 500 cylinders:
4.The HIS file is defined to the catalog as having one actual volume and 4 more candidate volumes (from the CXX report; evey client could be defined differently):
5. The HIS file currently has two extents:
6. With the 4 additional volumes, there is room for many more extents before this file will be in danger of filling and having a B37 failure.
7. Based on the CXX report of the maximum percent full for HIS (96%), it would appear an extend command was run previously. If the area were to have filled and the dynamic extend process triggered, this maximum percent value would show 100. This extend can be seen by reviewing the Utility History report run with the CXX report earlier. If there has been Extend activity, there would be information beside the EXTEND label for the HIS area in the report.
In this example, this HIS area looks fine, and there are no concerns about running out of space at this time.
As always, please contact Broadcom support for CA Datacom if you have further questions.