You wish to automate the process of adding machines to endpoint agent groups based on all or part of their machine name as referenced in Active Directory
Release : 15.x, Windows Endpoints
Here's an outline of how to get an an endpoint agent group assigned automatically by machine name.
1. Create the machine attribute in Agent Groups click the Manage Agent Attribute link:
2. Create a new attribute machine domain attribute and use the query from the example below
3. Next, create a new agent group, select the attribute you just created in the drop down. And enter a machine name with wildcard eg below.
In this example all machines names starting with 'WIN' will be included in the group
4. Save and assign a configuration setting to the group in the normal way
5. On your test agent, shutdown and restart the agent to force it to check in. Verify that it's assigned to the correct group