wasp.log showed no significant/related errors. Some errors were occurring in the portal log that did not appear to be related to the underlying root cause/problem nor to each other, e.g., Oracle errors, java null pointer exceptions thrown with no "Caused by:" <reason>, snmpcollector error, so it seemed that either the UMP configuration itself or perhaps some DB/Liferay tables somehow became corrupted. Unfortunately, in this type of case/scenario, the symptoms that present themselves may vary and not point to nor indicate a single root area or root cause.
- ump (wasp) configuration appeared fine
- wasp.log looked fine/no significant errors
- data_engine log showed no errors/exceptions
- portal log showed errors
- UMP's default SignIn page userid/password boxes were not rendering (shows empty page instead) so we had to click on the SignIn link on the upper right side of the page.
- USM portlet remained stuck in the 'Loading...' state
Errors seen the UMP portal.log:
- ERROR [DataFactoryException:107] java.lang.NullPointerException
- ERROR [DataFactory:3707] Not able to update cache entry for groups
- ERROR [DataFactoryException:102] ORA-01442: column to be modified to NOT NULL is already NOT NULL
- ERROR [DataFactoryException:107] java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-00905: missing keyword
- ERROR [RetrieveSnmpCollectorInstanceThread:144]
No Custom Vendor Certifications exists
- None of the Java errors in the portal.log contained "Caused by:" information/entries.
After checking wasp, portal, controller and data_engine logs, but finding no single/related underlying root cause, I recommended that we reinstall UMP to try and repair the portal, and that resolved the issue.
Right after the re-installation finished, we saw that the login page returned to normal, and USM was able to successfully finish loading.