Software delivery policies do not populate successful deliveries to the Installed Software report. What can be done to ensure that newly installed software gets inventoried promptly?
Updated On:07-10-2014 08:49
Inventory Solution, Software Management Solution
For many software deliveries, a simple solution is to add a subsequent Gather Inventory task to the managed software delivery policy.
First, it is recommended that a new task is created so that any install or uninstall on a delivery can be tracked properly..
1. Navigate to Manage > Jobs and Tasks
2. Select a folder for the inventory task to go into, right click the folder and select New > Task
3. Under the Discovery and Inventory folder, select Gather Inventory
4. In te right pane, Name the task ("Software Delivery Inventory", for example) and ensure that only the "Software" box is checked (this will prevent unnecessary load on client machines by collecting only software info)
5. Click Advanced, select the Run Options tab, and deselect "Send inventory changes (deltas) only" and click OK This will ensure that any software removed by an uninstall policy will be properly removed from the database and reports.
6. Click OK to finish creating the task
The task now needs to be added to the software delivery
1. Navigate to the software delivery policy
2. In the Policy Rules/Actions section select the Add dropdown and select Task
3. Select the task that was created earlier, click OK it should show up on the policy page underneath the software to be installed
4. Set the policy target and schedule accordingly, turn the policy on, and save changes.
The task will now run as soon as the software install/uninstall command completes. This can be verified by checking the policy on a client machine's Software Delivery tab, selecting the policy and verifying that the task is present after the "Execute Install" step of the delivery policy.
If the software to be installed does not populate entries to Add/Remove Programs or the MSI Cache (for example: IE9, 10, or 11) a separate Targeted Software Inventory policy should be scheduled to run shortly after the software delivery instead of running a subsequent task in a single policy. Please refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7042 for more information about Targeted Software Inventories