1. Ensure Patch Management is configured properly as outlined on KM: HOWTO56242
2. Search exit code found from failed update in Agent GUI and InstallLog.csv file; example: 17035 isn’t rules it is the way the product was installed detailed on KM: TECH180083. Other exit codes detail individual issues; where some are ‘client needs reboot’ and others outlined ‘update is already installed.’
3. Ensure the issue not something simple like Patch Inventory failing to return as detailed on KM: TECH194917, and the client cannot target rules properly if inventory is not current in database as detailed on KM: HOWTO60750.
4. Try out-of-box troubleshooting;
5. Document these checks/results in the Case, gather all the data from HOWTO60789 in a single compressed folder.
To reiterate; the KM articles linked in this doc are not the base line limitation of troubleshooting. Please troubleshoot each step fully to ensure it is not Inventory nor Configuration causing the issue, and view KM: HOWTO79448 for further troubleshooting, and confirm there is a solid 'Rules Issue.'