Symantec Encryption Management Server is distributed on one DVD, which you can use to install the server on Symantec Encryption Management Server Certified Hardware or on VMware machine. The DVD also contains installers for Symantec Encryption Satellite and Symantec Encryption Desktop.
When you insert the installation DVD and reboot the server, selecting customnet option installs the server using a standard partitioning scheme and configures the network settings based on your inputs during installation.
During the default installation, you are prompted to provide the following information:
- IP address
- Subnet mask
- Default gateway
- DNS information
Default Installation Procedure
Before you install Symantec Encryption Management Server using the default process, you must do the following:
- Attach a keyboard and monitor to the server on which you will install Symantec Encryption Management Server.
- Make sure the system is set to boot from the DVD.
- Insert the Symantec Encryption Management Server Installation DVD and reboot the system.
To install the Symantec Encryption Management Server software with the default process (customnet)
- When prompted, press Enter to run the default installation without verifying the DVD.
Note: To check if there are problems with the DVD, type customnet mediacheck and press Enter to verify the DVD before you install.
A warning appears stating that the installation process erases and repartitions the system's disk.
- Select Continue or Cancel.
- After the pre-installation, you are prompted to configure the network interfaces for the server.
Note: If your system contains multiple network interfaces, these interfaces are displayed on the Network Configuration page and all the network interfaces are set to Active on boot. If you plan to use multiple interfaces, you should configure all of them with IP addresses.
- Select the network interface you want to configure and select Edit.
- Type the IP address and Prefix/Netmask for the selected network interface and click OK.
You can type the Netmask in dotted quad notation (for example, 255.255.255.0) or in Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) notation (/24). As you configure each interface, its IP address appears in the list of interfaces.
- After configuring the IP address and Netmask for all the network interfaces, select OK.
- Type the IP addresses of the Gateway, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS, and select OK.
- Type the hostname for the Symantec Encryption Management Server and select OK.
The hostname must be the name of the first network interface, because by default, the Symantec Encryption Management Server listens on the first interface. Symantec Corporation strongly recommends that you name your externally visible Symantec Encryption Management Server according to the keys. convention, which allows other Symantec Encryption Management Servers to easily find valid public keys for email recipients in your domain.
After the Symantec Encryption Management Server is installed, the system automatically ejects the DVD and reboots.
- Open a web browser and type https://<hostname>:9000 or https://<ip address>:9000 to connect to the server and complete the installation using the Setup Assistant.
See the following article HOWTO95024 on using the Setup Assistant.