Question: Can scanners with no operating systems be used with Barcode Solution?
Answer: Barcode Solution supports using stand-alone scanners, a.k.a., RFID or "dumb" scanners, but only one type, the CF Scan Card / CF RFID RSC 6P from Socket. This does not enable Symantec Barcoder to be installed to it, however, as there is no Window Mobile/OS that can be used. As the scanner has no OS to store data to, this requires a direct connection to the workstation that is running the Symantec Management Console. A user would need to therefore bring their laptop and scanner to where they need to scan assets in at, or bring the assets to their desk where there laptop is to perform this.
- On the workstation the scanner is attached to, in the Symantec Management Console, click on the Home button > Service and Asset Management > Barcode.
- Click on to open the Scanning folder.
- Click on Symantec Barcode Console Application. Note: If this is not installed, this is required to be to use a scanner in this way. Refer to the following article on how to install the Symantec Barcode Console Application:
How to install Symantec Barcode Manager onto a workstation
- Click on Create / Receive > New Asset.
- Click on the type of asset to receive, such as Computer. Note: If this doesn't include any assets or an error occurs stating as much, first edit the profile being used in its Permissions tab to include the desired asset type.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Barcode tab.
- Click in the Barcode field.
- Use the scanner to scan in a barcode number. This should be populated then in the Barcode field.
- Manually add whatever other data is necessary and then click on the Save button.