Starting with Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.1.4, you can export and configure a Macintosh client installation package for deployment with third-party software distribution programs Apple Remote Desktop or Casper.
Export the package
- In the console, on the Home page, in the Common Tasks menu, click Install protection client to computers.
- In the Client Deployment Wizard, click New Package Deployment to configure a new installation package, and then click Next.
- Click the Install Packages menu and select the Mac package from the available options. Click All content (Recommended), and then click Next.
- Click Save Package for the installation method, and then click Next.
- Click Browse… to specify the folder where you want to save the package, and then click Next.
- On the final summary page, click Next to create the package.
Configure the package for remote deployment
- After the package creation completes, browse to the location you previously specified, and then copy the .zip file to the Mac on which your remote deployment program in installed. By default, the file name is Symantec Endpoint Protection.zip.
- Right-click on the .zip file and click Open With > Archive Utility to decompress the .zip file.
- Double-click Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer to launch the application.
- Click Continue in the warning message to acknowledge that a system restart is required after install.
- In the menu, click Tools > Create remote deployment package. Accept the default package name or type in a new name, select a folder where you want to save the file, and then click Save.
- When the package creation completes successfully, click OK. The file name is SEPRemote.pkg.
Deploy using Apple Remote Desktop or Casper
Note: These instructions are provided for your convenience. For more detailed instruction or technical assistance using your software distribution solution, consult the documentation that comes with it.
To deploy SEP Macintosh client using Apple Remote Desktop
- Open Apple Remote Desktop.
- Select the target Macs from the list of all available computers, and then click Install to add the package.
- Click the plus (+) to locate and add SEPRemote.pkg, click Attempt restart, allow users to save documents, and then click Install to begin deployment.
To deploy SEP Macintosh client using Casper
Casper also provides policies for software installation and for running scripts, which you can use to install SEP Macintosh client. Consult your documentation to configure these policies in Casper Server / JSS Server.
- Open and log on to Casper Admin.
- Drag and drop SEPRemote.pkg into the window, and then click File > Save.
- Open and log on to Casper Remote.
- In the Computers tab, select the target Macs from the list of available computers.
- In the Packages tab, check SEPRemote.pkg.
- In the Restart tab, click Restart if a package or update requires it for if no user is logged in, and Restart for if a user is logged in. NOTE: Mac users will see errors if trying to use SEP before this restart.
- Click Go.