Recovery Solution hotfixes are currently released as separate files with instructions as to how they must be implemented. This means that the "HKLM\Software\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Plugin Objects\Agents\Recovery Solution Agent\" registry key isn't updated with this information, so the Recovery Solution Agent's GUI cannot display this information, and nor can the NSAgent obtain it during its Basic Inventory scan.
As these hotfix files have "6.2 Service Pack 2" as their Product Version and can only be identified by their File Version (6.20.2760.x), AeXAuditPls.exe cannot be used to extract this information. Unfortunately, even though AeXCustInv.exe would be the logical choice as it can extract File Version data, these files do not have that information in the location that this inventory agent looks.
So, how does one obtain this information via a central means so that a user doesn't have to be asked to right-click these files and choose properties?
The .vbs file (RSCustInvScans.vbs) can run on all Win32 computers in order to determine if any Recovery Solution 6.2 SP2 hotfixes have been installed. When this file runs, it first determines if a particular scan is required by checking for the existence of certain registry entries or files. If one of these checks returns as true, then that scan is run.
The following scans are included in the VB Script file:
- Server Scan: This scan will only run on Recovery Servers and will create the RS62SP2SvrHFs.nsi file, which when included into a NSE file, it will allow Notification Server to create the AeX_SW_RS_6_2_SP2_Svr_HFs table.
- Client Scan: This scan will only run on Recovery Solution Agent resources and will create the RS62SP2CltHFs.nsi file, which when included into a NSE file, it will allow Notification Server to create the AeX_SW_RS_6_2_SP2_Clt_HFs table.
- Solution Scan: This scan will only run on Notification Servers which have Recovery Solution installed and will create the RS62SP2SOLHFs.nsi file, which, when included into a NSE file, will allow Notification Server to create the AeX_SW_RS_6_2_SP2_Sol_HFs table.
- FSR Admins Scan: This scan will only run on resource that has had the FSR Tools run on it via the Altiris Console and will create the RS62SP2FSRAHFs.nsi file, which, when included into a NSE file, will allow Notification Server to create the AeX_SW_RS_6_2_SP2_FSRA_HFs table.
- RetentionSettingsEx Registry Scan: This scan will only run on Recovery Servers that have had Hotfix 1 installed including its registry DWORD and will create the RS62SP2RegEXHFs.nsi file, which, when included into a NSE file, will allow Notification Server to create the AeX_SW_RS_6_2_SP2_EX_HFs table.
- Special Includes Registry Scan: This scan will only run on Recovery Solution Agent resources that have had Hotfix 5 installed and the SpecialIncludes registry key has been created and will create the RS62SP2RegSIHFs.nsi file, which, when included into a NSE file, will allow the Notification Server to create the AeX_SW_RS_6_2_SP2_SI_HFs table.
Create a new Program for the "Inventory Agent Package" (this can be access either via an existing Inventory Task or from the Resource Management > Resources > Defaults > Package location) and use the following syntax for its command line (click the Update Distribution Points button once the Program has been saved):
Place the RSCustInvScans.vbs along with the attached AeXInvSolnRS.ini file (WScript.exe is called to run the .vbs file) into the ".\Altiris\Notification Server\NSCap\Bin\Win32\X86\Inventory Solution\" directory, so that all Inventory Solution resources can download it.
AeXInvSoln.exe /hidden /s AeXInvSolnRS.ini
Clone an existing Inventory Task so that you can modify it to use this new Program.
Once the above three steps have been completed, Package servers and then Notification Server Agents will download these two files the next time they request a new configuration.
If you wish to test this scan, you can simply place the RSCustInvScans.vbs along with the attached AeXInvSoln.ini file (all agents have been remarked out except for WScript.exe and AeXNSInvCollector.exe) into the ".\Altiris\Notification Server\NSCap\Bin\Win32\X86\" folder, and then perform a UNC connection from a target machine to the "\\NSName\NSCap\Bin\Win32\X86\" share, in order to run the AeXInvSoln.exe file.Reporting:
The attached Recovery 6.2 SP2 Hotfix Reports Folder.xml file can be imported into Notification Server. It will create a folder called "Recovery 6.2 SP2 Hotfix Reports" which contains eleven reports (File Version or File Name + File Size have been mapped to a Hotfix by the use of the SQL CASE function):
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Agent, FSR Admin, Server and Solution Hotfixes Per Resource: This report allows you to select a resource to find out some general information about it, and then find out which recovery related hotfixes have been implemented on that resource via six right-click drill-downs.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 FSR Admin Hotfix Level: This report allows you to select a FSR Admin hotfix in order for you to see which FSR Admin Resources have it installed.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 FSR Admin Resources: This report displays any resource that has had the FSR Tools run on it, as this action places files in the "%WINDIR%\Downloaded Program Files\" directory, whose hotfix level can be ascertained by the right-click drill-down.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Server Hotfix Level: This report allows you to select a Recovery Server hotfix in order for you to see which Recovery Servers have it installed.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Servers that have at least one Hotfix installed: This report lists all Recovery Servers that have at least one 6.2 SP2 hotfix installed (Recovery Servers that are totally GA will not be included). Use the right-click drilldown to ascertain the hotfix level.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Servers with Auto-healing Disabled: This report displays those 6.2 SP2 Recovery Servers that have Hotfix 1 activated by means of creating the RetentionSettingsEx registry DWORD with a value of 0x20 (32), which disables the auto-healing functionality of Recovery Server.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Solution Agent Hotfix Level: This report allows you to select a Recovery Solution Agent hotfix in order for you to see which Recovery Solution Agent Resources have it installed.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Solution Agent's that are using Hotfix 5's functionality: This report displays all Recovery Solution Agent resources that have Hotfix 5 installed and have created their SpecialIncludes registry key structure. Use the right-click drill-down to see what drives and file extensions have been configured.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Solution Agent's that have at least one Hotfix installed: This report displays all recovery solution agent resources that have at least one 6.2 SP2 hotfix installed (If a resource is still in a total GA state, then it will not be listed here). Hotfix level can be ascertained via the right-click drill-down.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Solution Hotfix Level: This report allows you to select a Recovery Solution hotfix in order for you to see which Notification Servers have it installed.
- Recovery 6.2 SP2 Solution Notification Server's with at least one Hotfix installed: This reports lists all Notification Servers that are running Recovery Solution 6.2 SP2 and that have at least one of its hotfixes installed (Notification Servers that only have GA files will not be displayed). To see which hotfixes have been installed, use the right-click drill-down.
Note: Subscribe to this article if you would like to be updated each time a new hotfix is released.