Customer wants to discard the previous installation of the Notification Server by removing the previous installation and installing to a new server. The customer also wants to remove the Altiris Agent from all the client machines and reinstall them from the new server. A new database will be created, so what steps should the customer follow to accomplish this task?
Note: Remember, it is difficult to give specific recommendations to our customers about what to do since every environment is different but what it is suggested in this article should cover the most important things to consider when you are starting from scratch.
Old Server Considerations:
1. Regarding the old Notification Server, usually there is not much to do since it will be gone.
2. If you have Package Servers setup, you will need to remove the Package Server Agent from those machines that are Package Servers. You can find out if there are Package Servers setup if you go to ‘Configuration Tab/Server Settings/Notification Server Infrastructure/Package Servers’. If you have any computer listed there, just select it(them) and click in the X button (delete button). It should remove the package server agent from those machines.
3. Another thing that you need, is to remove the Altiris Agents from your client machines. So when you install the new server, you can install the Altiris Agent from scratch. In order to remove the Altiris Agent, you will need to enable the ‘Altiris Agent Uninstall’ under Configuration Tab\Altiris Agent\Altiris Agent Uninstall. Just make sure that you have selected the ‘All Windows Computers with NS 6 Altiris Agent’ collection under ‘Applies to Collections’ section on the ‘Altiris Agent Uninstall’ policy. If for some reason you want to remove any existence of Altiris Agent on your client machines, you may need to follow the recommendations from Article ID: HOWTO2463 “Instructions for the complete manual uninstall of the Altiris agent”.
Usually the normal Altiris Agent uninstall task will take care of registry keys, files, etc but if for some reason it is not done, then you can try the suggested KB article and do it yourself. If you want to keep the Altiris Agent installed and just migrate to the new server, please see Article ID: HOWTO5538 "How do you migrate computers from one Notification Server to another?"
4. If you have custom Reports or Collections that you want to keep and use in the new server, make sure that you back up all the customized collections and reports. You can export them (right-click on the customized collection, report or folder and select export) and move the XML file created to the new server. As well, you can use the Import/Export Utility. See Article ID: HOWTO2573 "How to use the Import/Export Utility for NS".
5. If you are using Helpdesk and you want to keep using it, make sure that you review the reference guide to know what files you need to move besides the incidents database. See Article ID HOWTO5608, "Migrating Helpdesk from one server to another".
6. If you don’t want to reinstall the OS on the old server but you want to remove the Notification Server from it, see Article ID: HOWTO1749 “Clean Uninstall of Notification Server”
New Server Considerations:
Most information for installing the new Notification Server can be found on the following documents:
Article ID: HOWTO1907 "Notification Server 6.0 SP3 Help"
Article ID: HOWTO1910 "Notification Server 6.0 SP3 Reference Guide"
The following points are given as suggestion since these are the basic options to consider for setting up a new server.
1. Make sure that at least you have the minimal requirements for the Notification Server installation. See Article ID: DOC1190 “Notification Server requirements”. Regarding memory, usually at least 4Gb is recommended since you may need to consider how many Solutions will be installed and if the SQL Server will be installed in the same server.
2. Before you start installing the Notification Server, you will need to install the SQL Server. For installing SQL Server 2000 or 2005 we don’t have documentation about it since it is a Microsoft product. Consult Microsoft KBs for this SQL Server 2000 or 2005 installation process.
3. As you read on the requirements for the Notification Server, you will need to have IIS installed on the server. When you install IIS, make sure that you also install ASP.NET. In order to verify that you are using the right version of .NET framework, see Article ID: HOWTO5069 “What are the most common commands for registering .NET 1.1.4322?”
4. In order to install the Notification Server and Solution, you may need to consider what you need: install a complete Suite or just individual Solutions. If you want to install a complete Suite, like Client Management Suite, see Article ID: HOWTO4526 "Altiris Product Installation Guide". If you want just to install the Notification Server and maybe few Solutions, then see Article ID: HOWTO5337 “Steps for installing the Notification Server manually”.
Note: We recommend that you install the Notification Server and the Solutions from the actual server and not via Terminal Services. See Article ID: HOWTO2012 "Is a remote installation of Notification Server supported?"
5. Make sure that you use a Domain Admin account or a Local Admin account when you are installing. We usually we recommend a Domain Admin account as the Application Identity for the Notification Server. You can even use the same account from your previous Notification Server.
6. Since it is a new server, when you are installing the Notification Server, you will see an option to create a new or use an existent database. Just make sure that you select a new database, so you don’t have previous data of you old Notification Server.
7. Reinstalling Altiris Agent on your client machines. I suggest you review Article ID: HOWTO5944 "How to perform a Push or Pull Installation of the Altiris Agent?". This article will review what are the two common ways to install the Altiris Agent. If you want to create a login script for the Altiris Agent installation, see Article ID: HOWTO2715 "Login script to install the Altiris Agent"
8. After the Altiris Agent is installed, then enable the different subagents. For example, if you want to use Software Delivery, you will need to install the Software Delivery Agent. Usually you enable most subagents under the ‘Configuration Tab (or View>Configuration)>Solution Settings’ and then select the Solution that you want and look for the Rollout policy. For example, for the Software Delivery Agent install policy, go to ‘Configuration\Solutions Settings\Software Management\Software Delivery\Windows\Software Delivery Agent Rollout\ Software Delivery Agent Install’. Do the same with any other subagent.
9. If you have custom reports or collections that you exported from the old server, just go to the tab where you want to keep them and do an Import of the XMLs that were created. That should give you back the custom reports/collections that you want.