How do I upgrade from Deployment Solution 6.8 SP2 to 6.9?
Step 1: Backup and Collect Information
Before you being the upgrade process, check your AUP as explained in article 3187.
To back up your existing license files, make a copy of express.exe and rename it express.lic. By default, it is located at C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server. You can provide this file during the upgrade to restore your license files.
In case you need to revert at a later time, make a backup of your Deployment Database and Deployment Server before you begin.
Record the following:
- The IP address of your Deployment Solution server and SQL Server hosting your database.
- The Database name, host, and any necessary credentials to connect to your deployment database, such as the NT user account or SQL user. If using the Altiris install of MSDE, the user name is set to SA and the password is set to altiris.
- User name and password used by the Deployment services.
- Export All Jobs. Right-click and export to a different location.
Step 2: Upgrade Your Deployment Solution
- Download Deployment solution from http://www.altiris.com/Download.aspx. Choose the drop-down computer Deployment Server for Clients/Servers 6.9.
- Upgrade Agents. Altiris recommends that the Agent Autoupgrade feature be used in Deployment Solution 6.9. Before upgrading, turn on the autoupgrade feature in Deployment Solution 6.8 SP2 by going to Control Panel > Altiris Deployment Server > Options > Transport > Automatically update clients. See article 36570 for a description of the changes made in the autoupgrade process and article 36557 to change autoupgrade settings.
- Alternate ways to install the AClient are documented in Chapter 5 of the Deployment.pdf file. This file can be downloaded from the Altiris Web site for reading prior to installing Deployment Solution 6.9. Read article 4277 for a way to update only AClients that are not current via the Remote Agent Installer.
- It is also possible to upgrade AClients via the "Update AClient" job located under the Samples > Misc Jobs folder. This lets you control the upgrade process to target specific groups of computers to upgrade and prevents slowdown due to a large number of clients updating simultaneously. Make sure that the source path of the task is changed to the correct version of the Aclient located under the ..\Agents\AClient directory. It is also recommended that UNC be used to copy the file to the client. This will take additional load off of the axengine. Note: If Axengine is not processing jobs, this method will not work.
- The account you use to install Deployment Solution must be a Windows Administrator and must possess System Administrator rights on the SQL server that will host your Deployment Database to install the Deployment Database. These database rights can be granted temporarily and revoked after the installation completes. For further information on rights see article 27304.
- On your Deployment Solution Server, run the Deployment Solution installation executable to extract and launch the Deployment Solution 6.9 installation. During installation, select the option that corresponds to your existing configuration and complete the wizard. It is not necessary to uninstall your previous version of Deployment Solution before installing a new version. When prompted, select the option to keep your existing database.
- When prompted, keep your existing database. If you choose to create a new database, any existing data including managed computers, jobs, and history will be lost.
Note: Altiris recommends that you do not select to update automation operating systems (Install Pre-boot Operating Systems) during installation if the configurations will be distributed via PXE. When PXE configurations are distributed to PXE servers, they are throttled at 1000 KB per second. This throttling reduces the strain on your network but causes the Deployment Solution installation to take much longer.
Step 3: Update Your Automation Operating Systems
After installation is complete, open Boot Disc Creator and select Tools > Install Pre-boot Operating Systems to update the automation operating systems.
For information on obtaining updated automation operating systems, see article 22577.
For a discussion of automation and installation instructions, see article 27292.
Step 4: Verify PXE Server Upgrades
Deployment Solution 6.8 introduced functionality to automatically upgrade your PXE servers. To check the status of these upgrades, see the new Status tab in the PXE Config Utility.
Step 5: Verify Agent Upgrades
After the upgrade completes, your Agents should begin updating automatically if you selected "Automatically Update clients". If the manual method was selected update the Agents as noted in step 1.