Apple requires an App ID to provision the native iOS App Center App. You also configure the App ID for the Apple Push Notification Service, which allows you to push notifications to iOS devices from App Center. To acquire an App ID, you or your team must have an Apple Enterprise Developer Account.
The workflow to generate an App ID and configure it for APNS, steps between the Apple Developer Portal and your local Mac computer. The workflow proceeds as follows:
To create the App ID for Symantec App Center
- Go to http://developer.apple.com.
- Select iOS Dev Center and log in.
- Follow the instructions at the iOS Dev Center to create a new App ID.
To configure the App ID for APNS
- At the iOS Dev Center, locate your new App ID and select the Configure option.
- Choose to: Enable for Apple Push Notification Service.
- Select Production Push SSL Certificate, and then choose to Configure the App ID.
Note: The Generate a Certificate Signing Request window opens within the Configure App ID page. Leave the browser window open as you'll need to come back to this window to finish the workflow. The instructions provided in the window are repeated here:
- On a Mac computer, open Key Chain Access and on menu bar, select Key Chain Access > Certificate Assistance > Request a Certificate from a Certificate Authority.
- In the request form, enter the following information :
- Your email address
- A name for your private key.
- Select the Saved to disk option
- You do not need to provide a CA email address even though the field is indicated as being required, because you are saving the CSR locally.
- Click Continue
- When prompted, save the CSR to a convenient location.
- Return to the Apple Developer Portal > Apple Push Notification service SSL Certificate Assistant window and click Continue.
- Select the CSR you saved in Step 7 and then click Generate.
- Download the certificate to your local computer.
The certificate is in .CER format and requires conversion to .P12.
- Double-click the certificate to open it in Key Chain Access.
- In Key Chain Access, right-click the certificate and select Export . . ..
- Export the certificate in .P12 format.
The certificate is ready for use. You use the certificate when you configure push notifications in App Center. You use the App ID when you create your Apple Provisioning Profile. For more information, see the article, Managing the iOS certificates used by Symantec App Center at: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO83806