The following instructions describe how to create a Data Connector Bulk Resource Export Rule to export client operating system data. Note: This assumes that clients have a Symantec Management Platform Agent installed and that they have obtained operating system data back from a basic inventory job.
- In the Symantec Management Platform Console, click on the Settings button > All Settings.
- Click to open the Notification Server > Connector > Import/Export Rules folders.
- Right click on the Import/Export Rules folder > New > Bulk Resource Export Rule. Tip: Unlike normal import and export rules, a Bulk Resource Export Rule does not require a Data Source to be previously set up, and is therefore not included as part of these instructions.
- Click on "New Bulk Resource Export Rule" name and rename it to the desired name, such as "Computer OS Types Bulk Resource Export Rule".
- Click on the "Resource type" drop down field and select Computers. Tip: If some clients are Virtual Machine resource types, these should still be able to be used for this rule. If not, a second may need to be made that specifically only selects Virtual Machines.
- Click on the "Export all resources in" drop down field and select the desired type. For example, select "Resource target", then click on "Select a resource target". Select a target list that includes the computers to use. If one does not exist, use the "Build a target" button to create a unique new filter for this purpose. As an example for that, click on its "Add rule" button, change the "THEN" drop down field to "exclude resources not in" and then change the "Filter" drop down list to "All Computers", assuming that this filter includes the computers to use. When done, click on the OK button. Lastly, select the new filter from the "Group name" section and then click on the OK button.
- Click on the Browse button for the "Output directory" field.
- Select a folder where the export files will be saved to.
- Click on the OK button.
- Change the value for the "New file name prefix" field, if desired.
- Change the value for the "Maximum resources per file", if desired.
- In the "Export resource data classes" section, click on the "Manage resource data classes" button.
- Click to expand the Inventory folder then click on the Basic Inventory folder.
- Click on "AeX AC Identification".
- Click on the ">" button to add "AeX AC Identification" to the :Selected items" section.
- Click on the OK button.
- Click on the "Test rule" button. The expected number of computers should be displayed. If so, continue with step 18. If not, review step 5 to ensure that this includes the computers to use.
- Click on the "Run now" button. The expected number of computers and their operating systems are then exported into an XML file to the specified folder from step 7. Tip: Additionally, this can be configured to run automatically on a schedule. Click on the Schedule drop down field in the "Run schedule" section to configure this if desired.
- Click on the "Save changes" button.
Figure 1: Example of how a Bulk Resource Export Rule would look based off of the above instructions
How to import data using a Data Connector Import Rule