This article describes the discovery process and best practices to help you successfully discover supported products.
About the product discovery feature
You can configure Protection Center to discover the supported products that are available on your network. The discovery process lets you easily find the products that can work with Protection Center. The discovery process also detects any enabled products that support multi-tenancy, which lets you enable additional tenants on the product host. The enabled products that do not support multi-tenancy are not detected.
When you discover a supported product, the product instance is added to the list of available supported products. To integrate that product with Protection Center, you must enable the appropriate product host in Protection Center. If you have more than one instance of an available supported product (multiple product hosts), you must enable each product instance separately.
The following security products support the product discovery feature:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Symantec Messaging Gateway
- Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention
What to check for before you start a discovery process?
Before you start a discovery process, check the following details and best practices:
- If your product does not respond to a Protection Center discovery scan due to security reasons, you need to enable the product manually.
- Symantec recommends you to run the product discovery process when you first install Protection Center. The discovery process can take up to a few hours to complete, depending on the network latency and the number of IP addresses that you include in the scan.
- Make sure that you are aware of which product can be discovered. Some of the supported products such as Altiris IT Analytics from Symantec, Symantec Web Gateway, Symantec DeepSight Early Warning Services, and several other products do not support the discovery feature and you need to add and enable them manually.
- Make sure that you are updated to the last available version of the product in your environment. Otherwise, the installation of patches on either the Protection Center appliance or the product you integrate may be required.
- If a previous attempt at discovery was made, the product is listed on the Available Supported Products tab. If a product is integrated using the host name, an association may be made with the IP address used at that time. If the product is later replaced with a new server, using the same name, but a different IP address, attempts at discovery may fail. Please contact support for assistance in removing such product entries.
- Some products, such as Symantec Data Loss Prevention, Symantec Messaging Gateway and Symantec Endpoint Protection require additional configuration for the user roles that are being used to integrate Protection Center. In addition, the supported products that are upgraded from earlier versions may require additional configuration. For additional information, refer to the product's integration guide.
- Some products such as Symantec Messaging Gateway and Symantec Endpoint Protection have the ability to limit access to its Web console. If there is a Host Access feature, verify that the Protection Center appliances IP address has been allowed. If the verification fails, consider disabling this feature before integration for testing. If integration is successful, turn on the host control. If usage attempts fail, contact support.
- Make sure that firewall rules do not block the integration. Full communications between the browser being used to interface with both the Protection Center appliance, and the integrating product are required. The Protection Center server does not proxy the communication between the end user browser and the product that has been integrated. For additional information on what ports are used, see the supported product's integration guides and user guides.
How to discover a supported product?
The product discovery feature searches for and discovers the supported products that are installed on your network with a specific address or within a range of IP addresses.
To discover Protection Center supported products on your network:
- In Protection Center, on the Admin > Settings menu, click Product Discovery.
- On the Product Discovery page, under Discovery IP Selection, specify the IP address range or particular IP addresses that you want to search. You can use IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. You can specify multiple IP addresses or IP ranges by separating each entry with a comma. You can separate the IP addresses in the range by a dash. Note: Not all of the supported products use or support both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Protection Center might not discover all of the supported products if the products support only IPv6 addresses.
- Under Supported products to Discover, select the products for which you want to search.
- Click Discover Products. The details of each product instance that is discovered are displayed. The discovered product instances are automatically added to the list in the Available Supported Products tab.