How do I image the Windows* Vista operating system using ImageX?
Imaging the Windows VISTA operating system using ImageX:
Install DAgent on target Windows Vista computer. Refer to the Deployment Solution Reference Guide for DAgent installation instructions.
Creating an image:
- Install WAIK on Deployment Solution server. Refer to Deployment Solution Release Notes for WAIK location.
- Copy the Tools folder from WAIK installation (by default installed in C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\) to WAIK folder in Deployment Solution installation (by default installed in C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server). So it should be the Tools folder under the WAIK folder on Deployment Solution server (C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\WAIK\Tools).
- Open Deployment Solution console and create new job.
- Add Create Disk Image task.
- Select ImageX as Imaging Tool.
- Enter image file name.
- Leave Image is stored locally on client unchecked.
- Check Prepare using Sysprep option. Select Operating System and enter correct Product key in corresponding fields.
- Select WinPE as Automation pre-boot environment. Or leave at Default Automation if WinPE already selected as default automation pre-boot environment in PXE configuration. Refer to DS Reference Guide for steps to install WinPE automation if it is not available for selection.
- Click Next and Finish.
Assign job made with the steps above to target client machine from the Deployment Server console.
Modifying answer file (optional):
- Open Windows System Image Manager. After installation it should be accessible from Start > All Programs > Microsoft Windows AIK.
- Click on Select Windows Image from the File menu, and browse to Windows Vista image created with steps above.
- Click on New Answer File from the File menu
- Edit the answer file to include all settings necessary.
For example: To join the computer to the domain, expand Components section in Windows Image pane. Right-click on x86_Microsoft_Wndows-UnattendedJoin_6.0.6000.16386_neutral. Select Add Setting to Pass 4 specialize. Expand section 4 specialize in Answer File pane. Add information necessary to join the Domain and OU.
Note: The domain name should be in FQDN format. Otherwise joining to OU will not work. General Windows settings could be configured by adding x86_Microsoft_Wndows-Setup_6.0.6000.16386_neutral component to answer file. Refer to Windows System Image Manager Help for additional information.
- Save answer file to designated location.
- Create new job from Deployment Console.
- Add Distribute Disk Image task.
- Browse to image prepared with steps above.
- Check Prepared using Sysprep check box. Select Operating System. Product key will be inserted automatically if it was provided during an image creation.
- (Optional.) If a custom answer file exists, click on Advanced Settings, select Use the following answer file, and browse to custom answer file.
- Uncheck Automatically perform configuration task after completing this imaging task for images prepared with Sysprep. Otherwise, DAgent will try to apply configuration to the system after Sysprep does. That could put system in inoperative state
- Select WinPE as Automation pre-boot environment. Or leave at Default Automation if WinPE already selected as default automation pre-boot environment in PXE configuration.
- Click Next and Finish.
Assign job made with the steps above to target client computer from the Deployment Solution console.