How to configure (install) remote Package Servers to be installed in other drive different than C:\ (ie: D, E, F,...)
There are different ways to accomplish this request. One example is listed below to install the Altiris Agent on the desired drive, such as D:, E:, etc. Doing so, the Package Server Installation Agent could be pushed from the Altiris Console, which will install the Package Server Agent on the same drive as the Altiris Agent. Follow the next steps to accomplish this task:
- Install the Altiris Agent "manually" using the following steps, or the information found in AKB 2091. Before installing the Agent, it is recommended that the server to be used as a Package Server has IIS installed (so the packages can be downloaded using http URL and/or UNC).
- Manually copy the Agent installer file AeXSwdInstSvc.exe (located on the Notification Server at \Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\NSCap\Bin\Win32\x86 or through a web browser at http://NSserver/Altiris/NS/NSCap/Bin/Win32/x86) to the server to be used as a Package server. The files should be copied to the system32 directory (to do so, remember use administrator rights on the target server, copy to the proper directory: %windir%\system32).
- Ensure that the package server keeps a map drive with your Notification Server to the next path: \\NSserver\NSCap\Bin\Win32\x86
- Open a CMD window, and manually type the next command line:
AeXSwdInstSvc.exe -u "http://NSserver/Altiris/NS/NSCap/Bin/Win32/x86/Ns Client Package/AeXNSC.exe" -s "NSserver" -w "http://NSserver/Altiris/" -d "E:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent" -notrayicon –nostartmenuNOTE: replace NSserver with the appropriate Notification Server name the Package Server will be reporting to. In the above example, we are installing the agent on the E: drive.
- Review the log file that should be created on the same directory where the file resides %windir%\system32. Find files with extension .log, When problems occur, a file AexSwdInstsvc.log is created.
- Ensure that the Agent installation process completed successfully using the Installation Report in the Altiris Console, View the Altiris Agent Installation Status report.
NOTE: For troubleshooting Altiris Agent installation (using a Push method), use AKB 1547.
- If problems exist, proceed to troubleshooting, otherwise proceed to Install the Package Server Agent from the Altiris Console: Go to Configuration | Server Settings | Notification Server Infrastructure | Package Server, and using the “+” sign, select the machine name that will be used as Package Server.
- Review Package Server functionality, checking available packages number increasing.
- Use Site Maintenance tool to review that the Package server has been assigned to the right Site or assign it manually.
- The Package Server by default should be defined as Unconstrained (Review Notification Server latest documentation for additional information about configuring the package server.)