What is exactly Power Management and Wake on LAN?
The Power Management tool is used to communicate directly to a Client with a Symantec Management Agent (SMA) installed from the Symantec Management Platform (SMP) Server.
Configuring Power Management and Global Altiris Agent Settings:
- Wake on LAN (WoL) must be enabled in the SMA computer's BIOS settings
- This may vary per individual CPU / Operating System
- Open the Symantec Management Console:
- Settings > All Settings > Agents/Plug-ins > Symantec Management Agent > Settings > Targeted Agent Settings
- Select the Targeted Agent Settings which manages the specific Client(s); default: All Desktop Computers (excluding 'Site Servers')
- Select the Advanced tab; enable the setting under the Tickle/Power Management: Enable tickle on Symantec Management Agents and Save Changes.
Under normal working conditions, the SMA requests its setting policies from the Notification Server and acts accordingly. With Power Management; the SMP contacts the SMA directly and instructs it to act immediately through a tickle to perform the following tasks:
- The SMP immediately sends a signal to power on the configured/enabled computer if it is not currently powered on.
- The tickle to the SMA from the SMP will wake it up (through a Wake on LAN) if it is not awake.
- Note: The SMP delays five minutes before sending the tickle. This allows time for the enabled SMA computer to power up.
- The SMP immediately contacts the SMA and executes Update Configuration immediately.
- The SMP immediately contacts the SMA and executes Send Basic Inventory immediately.