Is it possible to track a specific product or filename? For example, is it possible look for a file named sample.dll, 1024 bytes, dated 02/01/2002?
This can be accomplished by creating a Special Group. The following document describes a process for creating a special group to report a software product in the inventory scan. This example does this for specific games installed by Windows but can be applied to other applications.
Note: DOS applications require additional steps not listed in this document.
- Navigate to the \Program Files\Altiris\express\Notification Server\NSCap\bin\Win32\X86 directory.
- Launch the AeXAPedit.exe utility.
- Click File and select Open.
- Locate the auditpls.ini file and select it.
- Select the Special Groups tab.
- Click Add.
- Enter a name for the group in this format AeX SW. Example, AeX SW Solitaire.
- Enter a Class such as Altiris|Games. The character in between the words is the pipe character.
- Set the Attribute type to Filename.
- Enter the name of a file that represents the application. There may be multiple. You may add as many as needed. Example, sol.exe
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Select Package mode > No.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Click the Known As tab.
- Enter sol as the Internal name and Solitaire as the Known as.
Each client computer is configured by default to do a complete software inventory once a week, generally Sunday at 2:00. In order to get a software inventory to run on each computer sooner, you will need to modify the policy for the software inventory or navigate to the NSCap share on the Notification Server from each client computer and run the AeXInvSoln.exe file manually.
After this software scan has been run, navigate to the \Program Files\Altiris\express\Inventory directory on the client. The .nsi file the scan should appear in the directory. Example, AeX SW Solitaire.nsi. The existence of this file should guarantee that the item will show up in the inventory listing.
Creating a Report Using the Special Group Information
- From the Notification Server Console, right-click Reports under the Inventory Solution heading in the left pane.
- Select New Solution Group.
- Rename the group to Report Group. Example, Games Report Group.
- Right-click on the new group and select New Report.
- Rename the report.
- Select Configure this Report.
- Select New Query.
- Use Query Builder to create report.