This article describes how to backup a PGP Private key.
If you lose your key and do not have a backed up copy from which to restore your key, you will never again be able to decrypt any information encrypted to your key. In a PGP Universal Server managed environment, you can, however, reconstruct your key if your PGP administrator has implemented a key restoration policy for your company.
To back up your private key
- In the PGP Keys control box, click My Private Keys.
- Select the icon representing your keypair.
- Select File > Export > Key.
- Type a name for the file.
- Select the Include Private Key(s) check box. This is important, because if you do not do this, only your public key will be exported.
- Click Save.
- Copy the file (which has an .asc extension) to a secure location. This may be a compact disc which you carefully archive, another personal computer, or a USB flash drive that you keep in a safe location. Please remember not to distribute this file to others, as it contains both your private key and your public key.