How to create a PGP FileShare Protected Folder.
This article provides step by step instructions to create a PGP FileShare folder.
PGP FileShare enables specific users to share protected files in a shared space, such as on a corporate file server, in a shared folder, or on removable media such as a USB drive.
The files are protected by encryption, but continue to appear as normal application filesNotepad, Microsoft Word, HTML, Microsoft Excel, and so on. Applications can directly read from and write to the files; the fact that the files are protected is transparent to the applications. Anyone else with access to the shared space can see the files, but they cannot read/use them.
To create a new PGP FileShare Protected Folder
1. Open PGP Desktop and click on the PGP FileShare Control Box. The PGP FileShare work area is displayed.
2. Do one of the following:
3. Click Next. The Add Users screen is displayed
4. To add users for the Protected Folder you are creating, click the down arrow icon. A list of the keys on your keyring is displayed.
5. Select a user, and then click Add.
|Note: If you want access to the contents of the Protected Folder, do not forget to add your own key. If you do not, you will not be able to use the files in the Protected Folder.|
6. Do one of the following:
|Note: PGP NetShare does not automatically notify newly added members that they have been added to a Protected Folder as authorized users.|
7. Click OK when you are finished with the User Selection screen.
8. To assign roles to each user, right-click the user's name and select the role:
You can change a user's role at any time after the protected folder is created. Click on the protected folder in the PGP Desktop, and right-click the user's name to change the role.
9. Click Next.
10. Select one private key from the private keys on the local keyring. This key will be used to sign the files that are protected by encryption in the Protected Folder.
11. Type the Passphrase for the key.
12. Click Next. The files in the specified Protected Folder are encrypted and the specified users are added as Authorized Users.
13. When the process is done, click Finish.