How do I create Web sites in .MSI? How can I design an MSI deploy program to create new
IIS Web sites?
In Windows Installer Editor of WPS, go to the File Menu and select New. The New Installation File dialog appears. Select Web Application Template from the Predefined Templates folder. The Web Application Template opens. In the Installation Expert, Web Application should be selected in the Page View drop-down on the left side of screen. Web Files Page is listed under the Feature Details section.
Follow steps below to create new website:
- Go to the Web Files Page in Installation Expert.
- Right-click on Destination Directory and click New Website.
- The New Website dialog appears. Enter a Web site description name in the Description field.
- Select a path for your Web site in the Local Path field.
- Click OK.
- Highlight the folder and click Details.
- The Folder Details dialog appears. You can select various settings under each tab.
Please note the following:
Tabs that do not appear in IIS:
- Installation Settings. Lets you override existing settings when installing over an existing Web site or virtual directory. See Creating a Web Site or Creating a Virtual Directory.
- Web Site UI. (Web sites and top-level virtual directories.) Lets you specify the installation options that will be available to the end user at run time. See Setting Installation Options for a Web Installation.
- Virtual Directory UI. (Child virtual directories only.) Lets you specify the installation options that will be available to the end user at run time. See Setting Installation Options for a Child Virtual Directory.
Options in Wise for Windows Installer That are Different From IIS
- On the Web Site tab, you can only specify one identity for a Web site (consisting of an IP address, port, and host header), whereas in IIS you can specify multiple identities.
- The Web Site tab does not include the Connections and Logging sections.
- The Home Directory and Virtual Directory tabs does not include the options to specify where the content should come from.
- The Directory Security tab does not include the IIS options for IP address and domain name restrictions and Secure communications. The navigation of this tab is also different from IIS.