How do I create a test environment?
Below are the steps you should follow to copy your production environment to the test server
- Backup all Altiris Databases.
- Copy C:\Program Files\Altiris\Setup Files of your installed programs to the test server.
- Write your current version numbers from your production server.
Install the same OS, Service Pack, OS patches and any other applicable software on your production server to be identical on the test server; or Install Windows 2003 or Windows 2000 Server on test equipment, apply all MS Critical Updates to Server, Install SQL Server and apply MS SQL Server SP4.
- Install the Altiris Solutions from the C:\Program Files\Altiris\Setup Files folder.
- Verify the correct version numbers on the test server to the production server.
- Restore the SQL Server Production backup to the Test Server and new database name (i.e. Altiris 2).
- Change the database assignment in http://localhost/Altiris/NS/Console.aspx Database Settings Database Name Field to the restored database.
- Exit the NS Server.
- Go to Add or Remove Programs and run the program Repair on the Altiris Software. This should align the software to the proper security and database settings.
- Restart NS Server, and it will give you an error saying that you cannot access the database.
- Run the setup wizard component reset the database links.
- Verify that the database has restored to the same state as the production server.
Also, review article 2112, "Notification Server Disaster Recovery—database restoration on a new/rebuilt system."