What is the best method to change the communication port from 80 to 8080 (used for this example) or any other desired port?
- Add the new port in IIS:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager (Start > Run > inetmgr) and expand the "Web Sites" folder on the local computer. You will see "Default Web Site" on the expanded tree. Right-click "Default Web Site" and choose Properties.
- Once the "Default Web Site" properties windows appears, click on the Advanced button, on the right-hand side of the IP address field. This brings up the following window:
- Now click the Add button and enter the desired value (in our example 8080) in the TCP port field.
- Click OK. IIS is now configured to run on both the TCP 80 and TCP 8080 ports.
- Change all of the shortcuts that lead to the console:
Right-click on the shortcut and change the address to the new address by adding :8080 in the address for example(http://localhost:8080/Altiris/NS/Console.aspx)
- Change the Altiris Agent Settings so that the Agents knows about the change:
On your Notification Server Console, go to the Configuration tab and drill down to the Altiris Agent Configuration. Select the Advanced Settings tab for each configuration you need to change (for example, All Agents [excluding Package Servers], and Package Servers, and so on) and add :8080 to the end of the server name or ipaddress, whichever you use. For example (http://servername:8080/Altiris/) and click Apply at the bottom of the screen.
- Make the changes to the Altiris Agent: Now you can push or pull the Altiris Agent to the client computer, by either choosing the Configuration tab, Altiris Agent. Altiris Agent Rollout and select Altiris Agent Installation. At the bottom of the page you will see Scheduled Push to Computers, click on the pencil to edit the collection and choose All computers once the Collection Selector comes up and select Apply.
- Remove the default port from IIS.
After a given period of time a large proportion of the Altiris Agents will have moved to the new communication port. Once you are satisfied with the number of agent switched over you can remove the default port from the IIS properties, in the advanced.
Follow the steps described in step 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3. Then select the entry for TCP port 80 and click Remove.
Your Notification Server is now operating on port 8080 only.
Optional: A script can be created using the AeXAgentUtil.exe to make your changes to all of the agents.
"AeXAgentUtil.exe" /server:servername /web:http://servername:8080/Altiris"
Note: If you do not remove the default port (80) the codebases will not be re-generated with the newly added port because the Notification Server uses the first port returned by IIS API, and these are sorted by number ascending (meaning that to the Notification Server the changes made account to nothing visible).