What is the process to use Sysprep with SP2 on Windows XP?
The following information was obtained from Microsoft's Web site found here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];838080
Microsoft Windows XP SP2 includes an updated version of the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe) for both Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server 2003. Sysprep.exe is located in the Deployment Tools .CAB file. Use this version of Sysprep.exe when you deploy Windows XP SP2 or Windows Server 2003.
To obtain the latest version of the Deployment Tools, visit the following Microsoft Web site, and then click Deployment Tools:
MORE INFORMATIONThe System Preparation Tool
The Windows XP System Preparation tool enables administrators to prepare Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 system images as part of an automated deployment. Sysprep.exe is an updated version of the Sysprep program that is included with Windows Server 2003.
By using Sysprep.exe, you can perform the following tasks in a manner that is supported by Microsoft:
- Prepare Windows for duplication from one computer to another computer.
- Change security identifiers (SIDs) and other system and configuration settings to make them unique.
- Configure user-specific information to be customized by the end-user when Windows starts the first time.
- Create images of operating systems.
- Duplicate disks.
- Automate the Windows mini-Setup program.
- Perform auditing tasks.
The Sysprep.inf file
The Sysprep.inf file is the answer file for Sysprep.exe. To build the Sysprep.inf file, run the Setup Manager Wizard. Select the Sysprep Answer file option.
The Deploy.cab folder
The Support\Tools\Deploy.cab folder includes detailed documentation that describes the latest features of the deployment tools and how to use them. The documentation includes Sysprep.exe.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005