I believe that a large number of my AClient\Dagent installations are incorrect, how do I uninstall both clients and redeploy the client with a specific set of settings?
1. Copy the attached .zip file to your Deployment Server
2. Locate the installation drive for Deployment Server
3. Navigate to <INSTALL DRIVE>\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server
4. Create a new folder called Rollout under Deployment Server (and thus inside the eXpress share)
5. Extract the contents of the attached zip file to the Rollout folder
6. Navigate to the Rollout folder
7. Edit the AClientInstall.bat file and replace DEPLOYMENT SERVER ADDRESS with the address of the Deployment Server and save the file. Note there are two lines where this needs to be done.
a. NOTE: It is critically important that the address used is able to be resolved by ALL target clients. If a client is unable to resolve the address placed here, the entire process will fail.
8. Edit the AClientRemoval.bat file and replace DEPLOYMENT SERVER ADDRESS with the address of the Deployment Server and save the file.
9. Navigate back to the <INSTALL DRIVE>\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server
10. Copy the aclient.inp file to the Rollout folder
11. Open the aclient.inp file in the Rollout folder for editing
12. Open the aclient.inp.doc file included in the zip file. I have highlighted the key areas that will need to be modified. All modified lines will require the semicolon to be removed if they are to be active.
a. TransportUse will be set to 1 as we will be using the IP address of the DS
b. TcpAddr will be the IP address of the DS
c. TcpPort will remain 402
d. InstallDir should generally remain the default of ‘C:\Program Files\Altiris\AClient’. If this is to be changed, please advise as a large amount of the script will require rewrite.
e. LogFile, LogSize, LogErrors, LogInformation, & LogDebug are entirely discretionary. If you wish full client-side logging to be enabled, these settings will need to be configured.
f. ShowTrayIcon should be set to Yes for the purposes of testing. If the tray icon is not desired for production, the inp file can be modified to not display at that stage.
g. AllowRemoteControl is again discretionary. If remote control of clients via DS is desired, this will need to be enabled, otherwise insert a semicolon at the front of the line to comment it out.
13. Save the modified aclient.inp file back to the Rollout folder
14. Navigate to the <INSTALL DRIVE>\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\Agents\AClient folder
15. Copy the Altiris-aclient-6.9.430.x86.exe file to the Rollout folder and rename to AClient.exe
16. Edit the script.vbs file in the Rollout folder
17. There are two objShell.run lines at the bottom of the script, replace DEPLOYMENT SERVER ADDRESS with the DS address. As with earlier, it is imperative that this address is able to be resolved by all clients.
18. Save the vbs file.
19. Open the Deployment Server Console
20. Select Tools > Options > Agent Settings
21. Ensure that the ‘Force new agents to take these default settings’ is NOT enabled.
The process that this will use will run as follows:
1. The script.vbs file (when executed) will obtain the Uninstall string from the registry of the client computer
2. The script will then insert the uninstall string into a command to execute and uninstall in quiet mode. It will then initiate a 60 second wait until the next phase begins
3. The script will then call the AClientRemoval batch file and place the script itself into a 60 second wait while the subprocesses are running.
4. The AClientRemoval batch file will copy the AClient.exe file to the remote machine, execute a quiet removal, and delete the AClient and DAgent folders if present.
5. The script will then call the AClientInstall batch file
6. The AClientInstall batch file will create the AClient directory, copy the AClient.exe and AClient.inp files to the client machine, and execute an AClient install using the parameters within the AClient.inp file
7. The script will then terminate.
With the process now prepared for testing, at least one test client with AClient installed and one client with DAgent installed will be required.
1. From a test machine with AClient installed, login with Administrative credentials
2. Create either an AClient or DAgent folder (whichever is NOT present) in C:\Program Files\Altiris (this will act as a test of the Phase II script that should delete both)
3. Select Start > Run and enter the following - \\DSName\Express\Rollout\script.vbs This script should:
4. Once the process is complete, the AClient icon should be visible in the system tray and connected to the DS
5. If the AClient icon is not present in the system tray,
a. Are there any entries in the Application Event log that may identify an error during install?
b. Is the ‘dummy’ AClient\Dagent folder that was created still present?
6. If the AClient icon is present but not connected to the server:
a. Right click on the AClient icon and go to View Status, what is the status of the client?
b. Click on Properties. Is the AClient set to ‘Connect directly to this Deployment Server’? Is the server address the same as that entered in the aclient.inp file
c. Send these details as well as the Application & System Event log files from the client (and AClient logs if enabled in inp file) to me for further diagnosis
7. If all appears correct from the client side, does the machine appear in the console as connected?
8. If both client and server side checks appear correct, repeat the above steps on a client with DAgent installed.
Assuming that the testing phase is completed (or issues discovered are identified and resolved), the script.vbs file can then be provided to the group responsible for distributing this as part of the login script or via a Task Server 'Run Script' task. Some tuning of the WScript.Sleep settings may be required for production use. I have used 60 seconds as a starting point that should generally allow all processes to have completed prior to starting new ones. Testing of run time, server response etc within your environment will indicate whether these values can be reduced.