How do I migrate an old Notification Server to a new server?
Important: It is advised that you make a backup of your old database before proceeding with the migration.
Important: When migrating from one Notification server to another, ensure that all the solutions and Service packs / hotfixes that are installed on the old NS are installed on the new NS.
Important: Ensure that the NS Application Identity or the SQL Access account has sufficient rights (DBO) to the database.
Important: If you are migrating an NS 7 install, read this entire article before proceeding with the migration!
For NS 6
0) Install to a fresh DB
1) Ensure that the solutions, service pack / hotfix versions are matching your old NS.
2) Go to Configuration -> Server Settings -> Notification Server Settings -> Database Settings
3) Enter in the correct SQL Server and select the copy of your old NS's DB
... You may need to follow KB HOWTO2501 if you are unable to access the NS Console after following this process.
How to copy the NS database from one NS Server to another
NOTE: Ensure that the old NS is not running off of the same copy of the DB!!
For NS 7
1) Ensure that the Fully Qualified Name of your new NS is the same as your old one.
...For example, if your old NS was named thisNS.ourCorporateDomain.com , you need to ensure that your new NS has the SAME name (e.g. thisNS.ourCorporateDomain.com ) before continuing
2) Install to a Fresh New Database
3) Install the exact same set of solutions, service packs / hotfixes that were on your old server
4) Once step 3 is complete, point back to a copy of the old DB by navigating to:
Settings -> Notification Server -> Database Settings
5) Enter the correct SQL Server and select the copy of your old NS's DB
Note: You can't select an NS 6 Database
Note: Ensure that the old NS is not running off the same copy of the DB!!
Please also read the NS SP2 Reference Guide at page 117 for how to restore the Notification Server to a previous configuration.
If you are interested in using the import/export utility, see the following KB:
How to use the Import/Export Utility for NS
How to migrate an old Helpdesk server to a new server