How to use Windows ADK versions 1511/1607/1703/1709 with Deployment Solution 8.1 RU1 and greater
Note: As of 7/12/2018, Build 1803 is the default ADK used by Deployment Solution 8.x
The steps below are done on the Notification Server.
- Uninstall any existing ADKs.
- Download version 1511, 1607, 1703 or 1709 of the Windows 10 ADK from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit and install it.
- Note: when installing the ADK, select the ‘Deployment Tools’ and ‘Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)‘ features only.
- In order to import the 1511, 1607, 1703 or 1709 ADK files into the correct notification server path after build 1803 of the ADK has previously been imported, do the following:
- Navigate to “<drive>:\Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\BDC\bootwiz” and open ‘prebootos.ini’.
- Modify the bolded lines to false. Save the file.
- Open the NS console and navigate to ‘Settings > All settings > Deployment > Preboot Configurations’
- Click on the ‘Change WinPE’ drop down and select ‘WinPE 10.0’
- The screen to install and import the Win10 ADK will be shown. The hyperlink under #1 will not be selectable because the WAIK has already been installed.
- On Item #2, click on ‘Click here to import Windows ADK’
- Allow the ‘BDC’ package to update on all Package Servers
- Create/Recreate PXE preboots and/or automation folders with the new win10 ADK.
VERY IMPORTANT CAVEAT (Pre 8.1 RU2)
The process listed above works with Win8/2k12 and newer operating systems. Fortunately, development has created a PFinstaller that corrects this issue. (fix included in RU2).
To implement the workaround do the following:
- Contact support to get the point fix, '8.1_RU1_DS_WinPE10.zip' and extract
- Run PFinstaller as an Administrator. Note: a registry key is added to the registry at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altiris\Pointfixes\8.1 RU1 DS WinPE10]
- Wait for the ‘BDC’ package to updated on package servers
- Create/recreate PXE configs and automation folders.