The following concise guide for installing SEP 12.1.6 on Red Hat linux. In this case, the RHEL version was 7.2 but it applies to all linux platforms.
- Download and install Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html.
I prefer the RPM version of the JDK because it will run immediately and automatically after the download completes. Alternatively, the command line to manually install the rpm version is: rpm -i <filename.rpm>
- Install the JCE components
- Download the files from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce8-download-2133166.html. (This link will change slightly as new versions are released. This link was the latest version available as of February 2016.)
- Unzip the file. It will contain two .jar files which may be in a subdirectory similar to "UnlimitedJCEPolicyJDK8".
- Copy the two *.jar files to the following directory, overwriting the original files with the same name. (Make a backup of the two original files beforehand, if desired.)
/usr/java/<java build #>/jre/lib/security/
- Run the following command to install other required and recommend components:
- "yum install glibc.i686 libgcc.i686 libX11.i686"
- See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH228118 for related info.
- The SEPM should have a linux package file named: SymantecEndpointProtection.zip. Copy (using scp, pscp or similar tool) the zip file to the linux box.
- Put the zip file in a new subdirectory and unzip SymantecEndpointProtection.zip.
- Run: chmod 755 install.sh
- Run: "./install.sh -i" (without quotes).
The installation should complete, barring any other issues.