The Unix, Linux and Mac (ULM) agent install page in SMP console has a button to "Import computers from a selected file". This button is a blue arrow point to a white rectangle. Corresponding to this, is a link on the same page for a 'CSVfile template'.
The install page containing these features is found in the console at Settings, All Settings, Agents/Plug-ins, Symantec Management Agent, Settings, Agent Install then on the tab labeled 'Install Agent fro UNIX, Linux and Mac.
These two features work together to allow for importing a list of computers AND for pre-populating the 'Installation settings' for those imported computers.
Following are instructions and notes to correctly complete this import process.
- Click the link and open the csv template in a new window or right-click and download the csv template.
- It is easiest to edit the csv template in a spreadsheet app. So, open the csv file in your preferred spreadsheet. Each comma-seperated value should be in its own column.
- Specific fields, in addition to the computer name/ip field, are required. They are: Name, Telnet Flags, Root name, Root password. See the sample below for the minimum required fields.
- Save the file and make it accessible to the browser that can access teh SMP Console.
- Click the 'Import...' button.
- Browse to the updated csv file and click OK.
- The computer list grid should populate with the contents of the csv file.
Note that the file has four lines - one header row and three computer rows. In this case, the push install will connect to the client using ssh and attempt to login with the specified user name and password.
Name(computer name or IP Adress),Telnet Flags(sshkey;sshpwd;su),SSH Key File Name,SSH Key Password,SSH Key Type (RSA/DSA),SSH Key Port,SSH Key Prompt,Root Name,Root Password,Root Prompt,User Name,User Password,User Prompt,Login Timeout,Command Timeout,Upload Speed (slow/medium/fast),InstallDir,BinDir,PackagesDir,TempDir,GuidDir,GuidFile,EventQueueDir,TasksDir,RunLevel (rc1;rc2;rc3;rc4;rc5;rc6),StartupOnBoot (yes/no),Start (yes/no)
- The header row is required for the import to succeed.
- The header row should not be modified.
- For columns with values in parentheses, the value you enter must match one the values in parentheses (except for the 'Name' value, of course).
- It is ok to use dummy passwords in the csv file and specify the correct passwords in the Installation Settings screen after the import is complete.
- The SMP agent must be installed as the root user on Unix and Linux so the root user name & pwd are required. Note that this is a security risk so the information should be carefully guarded. It is not transmitted in cleartext, nor stored in cleartext but the csv file is in cleartext, of course. That's why most Unix/Linux admins prefer to manually install the SMP agent. It's much more secure for them to do it manually using the bootstrap. The manual installation can be done with a 3-4 line shell script, literally.
- The import will fail if the basic required data is not present in the csv file. If the grid does not populate, the required data was not found in the csv or the csv file was not formatted properly.