After imaging a computer with Altiris Agent on it, all the computers now have duplicate GUIDs. How can this be corrected?
When imaging a computer that has the Altiris Agent already installed and then deploying that image on other computers, all of those computers will have the same Altiris Agent GUID. This creates an inventory reporting problem since only the data of the last computer that has reported with that Altiris Agent GUID is written to the database.
Before making an image, do the following:
- Stop the Altiris Agent service. It needs to still be set to autostart.
- Open the Altiris Agent computer’s Registry Editor.
- Delete the data located at the following three locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altiris\Client Service\LastUpdateComputerInfo (Note: This will exist when the AClient is installed.)
- In the file system under install path\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Client Policies, delete the .XML file (there should only be one).
- In the file system under install path\Altiris\Altiris Agent\\Software Delivery, delete all GUID folder files in this directory and the AeXSWDPolicy.xml file.
- Shut down the computer and image it. Create the image before the Altiris Agent posts any event to the Notification Server. When the Altiris Agent requests a client config policy, a new unique Altiris Agent GUID will be created by the Notification Server and sent to the Altiris Agent. A new policy config XML will be sent to the client. The same Altiris Agent GUID is placed in three locations for backward compatibility reasons.
Note: For more information, you could also check article HOWTO2169, "How to prepare a workstation for imaging that includes the SMP/NS Agent". Don't forget to use "prepare for image capture" task with DS before capturing your image.
Additional Note: If you are trying to correct this problem after it has occurred, you can give each computer their own GUID by running the AeXAgentUtil.exe program with the /resetguid switch.