With the release of IT Management Suite (ITMS) 7.6, the End-of-Life (EOL) for pcAnywhere Solution was announced. However, you can continue using the pcAnywhere console integration even after upgrading your ITMS setup to 7.6 by reintegrating the components that are removed. These steps can also be performed on an ITMS 8 console but pcAnywhere settings policy will not be available. see How to upgrade IT Management Suite to version 7.6 or 8.0 and continue using pcAnywhere Solution
for the instructions on how to manualy configure pcAnywhere host settings.
The ability to add pcAnywere solution back to a cleanly installed or an off box 7.6 upgrade will not work. This document only covers a 7.5 server installation with a functional pcAnywhere solution install that is upgraded to 7.6 with the following steps:
- Upgrade to ITMS 7.6 Hotfix 1 before upgrading your ITMS 7.6 agents
- Reinstalling console integration for pcAnywhere Solution using a command line script
- Replacing the Web.config file
- Maintaining pcAnywhere Solution connections to Mac hosts
- Using the repair policy on clients that were upgraded to 7.6 not 7.6 HotFix 1
Please refer to the following table that takes you through the upgrade paths:
|Currently installed Version
||Steps and docuemtnation on the order of upgradeing to ITMS 7.6
ITMS 7.1 SP2 MP1.1
|1) Apply pcA 12.6.7 HF1 (DOC6435)
2) Upgrade to ITMS 7.5 SP1 and pcA 12.6.8 (DOC7310, DOC7338)
|ITMS 7.5 SP1
|3) On the Notification Server (NS), upgrade to ITMS to version 7.6 (DOC8113)
Important: Do not rollout the Symantec Management Agent upgrade to the client computers.
4) On the NS, apply ITMS 7.6 HF1 (DOC8505)
5) Rollout the SMA 7.6 HF1 upgrade to the client computers (Refer to the Upgrade to ITMS 7.6 Hotfix 1 before upgrading your ITMS 7.6 agents section in this KB)
6) Upgrade to ITMS 7.6 HF7 (DOC9152)
Upgrade to ITMS 7.6 HF1 before upgrading your ITMS 7.6 agents
- On NS, upgrade to ITMS 7.6 Hotfix 1 before you upgrade the Symantec Management Agent (SMA) on the managed endpoints to version 7.6.
- After you upgrade Symantec Management Platform (SMP) to version 7.6, make sure that the Symantec Management Agent upgrade policies are disabled until you upgrade to 7.6 HF1. This step will ensure that the pcAagent plugin is available on the managed computers.
To reinstall console integration for pcAnywhere Solution using the command line
- Close the Symantec Management Console if it is launched on the computer that has Symantec Management Platform.
- If you have upgraded from IT Management Suite 7.5 SP1 to IT Management Suite 7.6 and previously had pcAnywhere Solution 12.6.8 then open the following directory: <installation directory>\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris By default, the product is installed in the C:\Program Files\ directory. If you had installed IT Management Suite on a different location, open the directory that contains the \Installs\Altiris folder.
- From the \Altiris\ directory, copy the symantec_pcanywheresolution_12_6_8_x64.msi file and paste the file in any local directory.
- Log in with the Application Identity Service Account credentials and, from the command prompt open the local directory where you have pasted the symantec_pcanywheresolution_12_6_8_x64.msi file.
- Install console integration for pcAnywhere Solution using the following command: msiexec /i symantec_pcanywheresolution_12_6_8_x64.msi /qn SKIPAIM=1 To create the installation logs, you can install the .msi file using the following command: msiexec /i symantec_pcanywheresolution_12_6_8_x64.msi /qn /l* "C:\pcA.log" SKIPAIM=1 where, C:\pcA.log is the path where the installation logs are created. You can use the Altiris Log Viewer to check the installation status.
Replacing the Web.config file
After reinstalling console integration for pcAnywhere Solution using the command line, you must replace the existing Web.config file found in the pcA installation directory. The Web.config file contains information about the operating environment that the installed version of SMP supports. Since IT Management Suite 7.6 supports the .NET 4.5 framework, you must replace the existing Web.config with the latest one.
- After the installation is complete, navigate to the following pcAnywhere Solution installation directory: <installation directory>\Altiris\pcA\Web
- Backup the existing Web.config file and replace it with the Web.config file that is provided with this article. Note the file must be extracted from the WebConfig.zip attachment.
- Restart IIS by using the following command from the command prompt: iisreset
Maintaining pcAnywhere Solution connections to Mac hosts
If you have Mac hosts, you must complete the following steps to ensure pcAnywhere Solution connectivity:
- In the Symantec Management Platform server open the following directory: C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\NSCap\bin\Win32\X86\pcAMacAgent
- Backup all the files and then apply the patch that is described in the following knowledge base article: TECH226063
- From the Task Scheduler, run the following schedules:
- NS.Package Distribution Point Update Schedule
- NS.Package Refresh
After completing all the steps, you can use the pcAnywhere Solution from the Symantec Management Console.
If you have upgraded your Symantec Management Agent on the host computer, then after you execute the steps mentioned earlier, run the pcAnywhere plug-in upgrade policy to upgrade your pcAnywhere plug-in components on the host computer.
Using the repair policy on clients that were upgraded to 7.6 not 7.6 HotFix 1
The Symantec Agent that shipped in 7.6 pre hf1 was designed to remove the pcAnywhere agent as part of the upgrade. If your 7.6 agents were directly upgraded to 7.6 hf1 then the pcA agent won't have been uninstalled as the 7.6 upgrade and the following steps are not needed. For systems that the pcA agent has been uninstalled on the following procedure can be followed to restore the pcAnywhere agent files on those clients.
- Extract the folder PCARepairPolicy from the attached ET3788067.zip file
- Open the command prompt with the "Run as administrator" action
- Navigate to and run pcAAgentRepair.cmd file in the extracted folder.
- run “IISRESET” command.
- Open ITMS console and you will find a new “pcAnywhere Plug-in for Windows - Repair” policy under pcAnywhere windows settings.
- Run "Gather full inventory" task on clients to gather full inventory.
- Check if default filter for “pcAnywhere Plug-in for Windows - Repair” is populating the SMA 7.6 upgraded clients that need to have pcAnywhere components restored to them.
- Run the policy on the clients which are upgraded to SMA 7.6
- After applying the repair policy confirm that the installed pcAplugin version on the client is 12.6.8558 .
After following the suggested steps, you can continue to use pcAnywhere Solution as you did prior to the ITMS 7.6 upgrade. You can integrate other third-party remote access tools such in the console's right-click menu using the Remote Access Connector that was introduced in ITMS 7.6.