This guide will assist you with your Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) upgrade from 11.x or 12.1.x to 12.1 RU5. The main goal of this document is to provide the necessary steps in order to successfully implement an upgrade or migration without the need for technical support. These steps are the basic steps for upgrading a single SEPM environment. It is recommended that you review the full migration instructions before proceeding with these steps so the process is understood and for multi-SEPM environments.
We encourage you to attempt your upgrade or migration using this document prior to engaging support. If an issue is encountered, please engage your support technician (if a case has already been opened) or contact support.
This guide will walk you through the process of:
Download the software:
2. Enter in your Serial Number that begins with “M” followed by 10 digits (i.e. M1234567890).
3. Select Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 - International English or your local language if migrating from a non-English version. If a non-English version is selected the EN portion in the filename in the following steps may be different to reflect the language selected.
4. Click on the “+” next to Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.5_Part1_Installation_EN.exe.
5. Select the Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.5_Part1_Installation_EN.exe on the right.
6. Save the files to a location of your choice.
7. Double –click on the Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.5_Part1_Installation_EN.exe file.
8. Click Run.
9. Select the destination for the extracted files. Make sure to create a unique folder name.
10. Click Extract.
1. Go to the Windows Start menu and type in "services.msc" and hit Enter to bring up the Services list
2. Find the "Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager" service in the list and right-click on it and select Stop
3. Repeat the above 2 steps on each of the SEPMs in your environment before proceeding.
4. Navigate to the folder the files were extracted to in the previous step.
5. Double-click on Setup.exe (It can take a few minutes before you see the next screen).
6. Select Install Symantec Endpoint Protection.
7. Select Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
10. Accept the terms in the license agreement and select Next.
11. While it is not necessary to perform a database backup to continue the upgrade, it is recommended if you don’t already have a recent backup. In case the upgrade fails, you can always reinstall the previous version of your SEPM and restore from the backup. If you already have a backup, select Next.
12. Click Install (This process can take a while).
13. Select Next .
14. The Management Server Upgrade Wizard should appear, click Next.
15. You will then be prompted to make sure certain ports are not being blocked by a firewall, Click Next.
16. If prompted about database maintenance, insure both truncate the database transaction log and rebuild database indexes are selected.
17. The server upgrade will then commence. This process can take some time as it converts definitions to the new RU5 format, hours in some cases.
18. LiveUpdate will then run automatically.
19. Once the upgrade completes, click Next.
20. Click Finish.
21. Log in to the SEPM using your prior username and password to verify connectivity and usability.
Upgrade or migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5
Symantec™ Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 Installation and Administration Guide