How do I troubleshoot the Patch Management - PMImport failing to download successfully?
Work through the following steps to troubleshoot the failing download for the .cab file of the Patch Management Import. The current PMImport version can be found on KB HOWTO73079.
- Check Download URL: Go to Console > Manage Jobs and Tasks > System Jobs and Tasks > Software > Microsoft Patch Management Import
- Check Download Communications: Go to Console > Settings > All Settings > Notification Server > Views > Site Administration > Configuration and Maintenance > Notification Server Settings - In the Right Pane select the Proxy Tab
- If there are settings enabled - Ensure the 'Enable keep alive' is enabled, and Test Settings to ensure Altiris can communicate through the Proxy.
- Check Licensing: Go to the Notification Server > Start > Programs > Altiris > Symantec Installation Manager > Update Licensing
- Ensure Patch Management Solution for Windows has current Annual Upgrade Protection (AUP) and the license nodes have not been exceeded.
- Check Exclusions: Go to Console > Settings > All Settings > Software > Patch Management > Microsoft Settings > Microsoft Tool
- In the right pane, view the Software Update Options Tab, go to the Exclude Software Releases - 'Select Software Releases' button to view the software being excluded from the PMImport.
- Check User's Rights: Log into the Altiris Notification Server with Application Identity Credentials (full Altiris Admin rights)
- Also view HOWTO25927 for listing of Patch Admin required permissions. Also ensure that the Anonymous user has these rights, for that is what is run through the Console.
- Run the PMImport Manually: Go to Console > Manage Jobs and Tasks > System Jobs and Tasks > Software > Microsoft Patch Management Import
- Ensure the 'Download only if modified' is unchecked and Save Changes if needed
- Open the Log Viewer (Start > Programs > Altiris > Diagnostics > Altiris Log Viewer)
- Select 'New Schedule' and Execute the schedule 'Now' from the popup window
- Watch the Log Viewer for any errors concerning the PMImport failure and research them here on the Altiris Knowledge Base.
- Check the history of the Microsoft Patch Management Import for 'Pending' status attempts that have not been resolved or errored. If there are any other than the current attempt showing 'Pending' then highlight them, right-click and Stop. These may be deleted if desired. Also check for other Policies, like the Check Software Update Package Integrity job. Also view the Revise Software Update Task from KM: TECH45458.
- Microsoft Patch Management Import has multiple sessions / attempts running:
- Seeing 'Another Instance of Singleton Task is running' in the Log Viewer
- Stop all running instances
- Highlight the attempts; right-click / Stop
- Run the PMImport manually or on schedule
- Task Server Errors may cause the Patch Management Import to fail to run.
- Found an instance where the Console displays - Failed, yet the logs show completed: Rebooted Notification Server and cleared any pending Task jobs that were causing this issue.
- The errors noted in TECH144662 have caused PMImports to fail.
- Contact Symantec Support for help in troubleshooting the issue further.