After finishing the installation wizard and the configuration wizard, complete the installation process by verifying that the server and database are set up correctly.
Verifying the server is set up correctly consists of the following steps:
- Verify the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server installation.
- Verify the database installation.
- Back up the Symantec Endpoint Encryption database.
Verifying the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server Installation
Verify that the server is installed it correctly using the following steps:
- Open the Internet Information Service (IIS) Manager snap-in.
- Expand the node for the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server computer.
- Expand Sites, then right-click Symantec Endpoint Encryption Services and click Switch to Content View.
- Click Symantec Endpoint Encryption Services.
- Verify that the snap-in lists the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Services website and that the service status is started. If the website's status is stopped, it indicates that the port number that you specified for communications with the client computers is already in use.
Verify that the right pane contains the following items:
- The bin subfolder
- The GECommunicationWS.asmx file
- The web.config file
- Open the Event Viewer snap-in and examine the Application event log. Verify that there are no errors generated by the event sources ADSyncService.
If you ran the MSI from the command line and enabled logging, you have logged each step of the installation process. The command line stores the log file at the path that you specified. If you did not specify a path, the files are stored in the working directory that was current when you issued the command.
^Jump to Top
Verifying the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Database installation
After installing the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server, use the following steps to verify that the database is set up correctly.
- Access the Symantec Endpoint Encryption database with the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
- Use administrator-level privileges to verify the following:
- The installer created a new database by the name that you specified or the default name of SEEMSDb.
- The installer added the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server account that you specified as a user of the new database.
- The installer populated the new database with Symantec Endpoint Encryption–specific tables. For example, dbo.GEMSEventLog.
- Open the Windows Event Viewer on the computer that hosts the Symantec Endpoint Encryption database. The viewer logs the events that are related to the creation of the Symantec Endpoint Encryption database in the Application category with the source MSSQLSERVER. Make sure that it displays no error messages.
^Jump to Top
Back up the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Database
After you verify the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server installation, run a complete backup of the Symantec Endpoint Encryption database.
It is also recommended that you schedule regular backups of the Symantec Endpoint Encryption database.
Once the setup of the server is complete, please see article HOWTO102618 for how to install the Management Console.