You can find the randomization options by following these steps
- Log in to the SEPM console
- Select Admin > Install Packages
- Click 'Upgrade Groups with Package'
- Click 'Next', select the package to use and click 'Next'
- Select the group(s) to apply the Upgrade to and click 'Next'
- Select where to download the update from (SEPM or URL)
- Click 'Upgrade Settings' to display the download randomization options
There are two main features of download randomization: Upgrade schedule and the distribution timeline.
- If selected, this option will limit the packages to a specific time range during the day (i.e. only deploy from midnight to 8 am)
Distribute updates over
- How long to spread out the distribution. If set to '0' updates start right away (or during the next Upgrade Schedule if specified)
How it works
- You have configured your distribution options and completed the Upgrade Groups Wizard. As clients check in the SEPM, they will be notified that there is a new update to download and install.
- The SEPM will either tell the client to download the package immediately or if a schedule/timeline is specified the SEPM will give the client the parameters to download the package (i.e. sometime over the next 4 days between midnight and 8 am) and the client picks a random time in that range. There is no visibility from the SEPM to see when a specific client is scheduled to start its download. If a client is offline when the random window occurred, the client will pick a new random time.