When installing the Symantec Endpoint Encryption server you receive the following error and the install rolls back:
Error 27506. Error executing SQL script CreateGEMSDb. Line 185. Timeout expired (0) on install.
If the SQL server takes longer than 45 seconds to create the database then the install will time out.
Installing more memory or freeing up resources will typically allow the SQL server to process the script faster.
As a workaround the following can be done.
- Run the server install with MSI logging on such as with the following command:
MSIEXEC /i "[path]\Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server.msi" /lvx [logpath]\logfile.log
- Once the install errors out with the timeout expired error do not click the OK on the error.
- Open the MSI log created above and search for the error message seen.
- If you look above this error message, about 45 seconds above it you should come across a line similar to the following:
1: Start executing SQL script file: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\~311.tmp
- Locate the mentioned file and copy it to the desktop.
- Click OK on the error message and allow the install to roll back and close out of the installer.
- Go into the database and remove any remnants of SEE that were left behind (only for new installs) such as the database and the user.
- The tmp file copied above is a SQL script, execute this script on the SQL server which should now create the database and a user whose name begins with "GEMS".
- Reset the password on the GEMS user.
- Run the Endpoint Encryption server install again and tell it to use an existing database and provide the login and password for the GEMS user that the password was reset on.
The install should now complete successfully.