You want to know what to consider when upgrading from older versions of Symantec Mail Security for Domino to Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.x.
5.1.x or higher
Ensure that Symantec Premium Antispam is disabled before you install version 8.x, if enabled.
5.0 or 4.x and lower
Uninstall the product and then install version 8.x
Note: An upgrade from Symantec Mail Security for Domino 5.x.1 to 8.x does not require reinstallation of existing licenses.
Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.0 supports upgrades from version 5.1.x and higher only.
When you upgrade from version 5.1.x or higher, your previous licenses are honoured and there is no change in the license file formats.
Your existing content and product licenses are automatically recognized and do not need to be reinstalled.
If you are running version 5.1.x or higher, ensure that Symantec Premium AntiSpam is disabled before you install version 8.0.
When you upgrade from version 5.1.x or higher, you can upgrade your previous databases. The databases that you choose to keep during the installation process are upgraded
the next time that you start the Lotus Domino server. You can verify that the previous databases were properly upgraded by viewing the Domino server console messages.
Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.0 is not compatible with version 4.x and lower versions.
An upgrade from version 4.x or lower, requires a new product license. If you are running version 4.x or lower, you must uninstall the product and then install version 8.0. The NSF databases from version 4.x can not be reliably converted to 8.0 so you will need to manually transfer any content filtering rules or word lists.
If you are upgrading from Symantec Mail Security for Domino 5.1 or 7.5 or an earlier version of 8.x, Please follow these steps:
1. Disable Premium Antispam.
2. Shutdown domino server.
3. Back up settings database, sav.nsf from <drive>
4. Back up log and quarantine database, savlog.nsf and savquar.nsf if necessary.
5. Install and upgrade to the opportune Java version. Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.x supports JRE 5 and 6.
6. Install Java JRE.
7. Install Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.x locally, or from an RDP connection set to use the Console (terminal0).
8. Start the Domino server.
9. Re-enable Symantec Premium AntiSpam from the Antispam, Premium AntiSpam, Control tab of the Symantec Mail Security for Domino settings.
Before upgrading Symantec Mail Security for Domino to the latest versions, might be useful to read the release notes here: