SMSMSE is failing to correctly notify administrators of scan, LiveUpdate or other trouble. What can be done to correct this?
In Windows Application Event Log an entry similar to the following appears:
Time: 1:39:52 AM
Source: Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
An error has occurred trying to send an email notification.
The error occurred while sending LiveUpdate notifications to administrators. Error code returned: 0x80004005
The message will contain a reference to what type of notification failed (scan, LiveUpdate, and so on)
There can be several causes for this failure.
A common cause of this problem is fixed in Symantec Mail Security 6.0.9 for Microsoft Exchange. To download the latest release, read Obtaining an update or an upgrade for a Symantec Corporate product.
If the problem persists, try the following:
1. Open the Exchange Management Console.
2. Expand Server Configuration and select Hub Transport.
3. Right-click in the Receive Connectors pane, and select New Receive connector.
4. Provide a name for the new connector, and select Internal as the intended use for the connector.
5. Change IP address range to include just the mailbox server cluster nodes, or delete that range, and enter the individual ip addresses of the mailbox cluster nodes.
6. Click Next, New, and then Finish.
7. Right-click the new connector and choose properties.
8. Click the Permission Groups tab.
9. Check the Anonymous Users checkbox.
10. Click Apply, then OK.
A Technical Point
SMSMSE's reports and notifications are generated from a mailing component built into Microsoft Exchange. They are not written and sent by the same means used in Outlook or another mail client. Notifications and reports, when generated, will go over 127.0.0.1. When anonymous access is disabled this is not possible, client will not be authenticated,
Directing notifications to the Exchange 2007 Edge server- which often allows anonymous access- has been successfully tested.
Sometimes, this may be resolved through general troubleshooting of notification and release by mail problems