The Messaging Gateway will "fail open" following license expiration:
What Will Continue to Work
- Email messages will continue to be accepted and delivered based on the static configuration in Protocols > Domains and Administration > Configuration > host > SMTP
- Address Masquerading and Aliases will operate as expected
- Integration with Data Loss Prevention systems (DLP) will continue to operate as expected but no policy actions configured in SMG will take effect.
- MTA DNS checks (Protocols > Settings) will still operate as expected
- Sender Authentication checks will still be performed but no policy actions will take effect
- TLS secured email delivery and per-domain TLS settings will continue to operate
- Access to the Management Console remains unrestricted.
- Message Audit Logs will display some email message specific information such as Connecting IP, Date, Sender, and Recipient
- Scheduled and manual backups will still be performed
- Automated reports will still be generated and distributed but will not contain data for services which are no longer licensed.
- Spam and Compliance Quarantine data will continue to be expunged on schedule.
- Management of scanner queues will operate as before
What Will No Longer Work
- No policies configured under the following tabs will operate
- Threat Defense
- Content Filtering
- Messages will no longer be forwarded to the Content Encryption service
- Antivirus and Antispam rulesets will no longer be updated.
- Software updates and patches will no longer be accessibe
- Messaging Gateway licenses no longer have a "grace period". Message filtering will end at the license end date.
- Licenses cannot be installed prior to the start date of the license.
- Some components may log errors to disk when running in an unlicensed state which may deplete available disk space