A User from a Trusted Domain Group not in the Root group (child or Separate) is unable to get a list of published software if the child or separate Groups were added to the Software Portal Configuration.
This is a defect in the way security is handled by the Software Portal.
This issue is fixed as a Point-fix in three version: SP2, SP2 MR1, and Software Management Solution SP2 MR2. A Point-fix is available upon request from Symantec Support. Please request the appropriate version for the fix.
Disclaimer: Point-fixes are provided as a stop-gap measure to resolve issues before a full engineering cycle can be completed. Point-fixes have not gone through a full testing cycle so there is some potential risk in deploying. Note the following instructions and how to back out should unexpected results occur.
The steps to apply the Point-fix are covered here: See below for instruction on how to apply the SP2 MR1, and for SP2 MR2 update.
If you are needing to apply the SP2 only point fix please follow these instructions:
1. Stop the Altiris Service (two other dependent services will also be stopped).
2. Open a command-prompt.
3. Use the interface to browse to C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Altiris.SoftwarePortal\7.0.1831.0__etc...
4. Backup original Altiris.SoftwarePortal.dll by using a copy command, such as: Copy Altiris.SoftwarePortal.dll “C:\Backup\”
5. Save the attached SoftwarePortal_7_0_SP2_MR1_point_fix.zip file.
6. Copy in the new version of Altiris.SoftwarePortal.dll just downloaded from the site above (must be done from the command-prompt).
7. In Windows Explorer, copy all downloaded .config files to C:\Program Files\Altiris\SoftwareManagementSolution\Config (backup old ones prior to copy, there should be 3).
8. Now in the Command Prompt go to C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\bin.
9. run AeXConfig.exe /configure "C:\Program Files\Altiris\SoftwareManagementSolution\Config\SoftwareManagementSolution.config ". Wait until the task finishes (you will be returned to the prompt).
10. Start all Altiris services
Notification Server 7.0x
Software Management Solution 7.0 SP1-SP2 MR1
NS > Root Domain > Root Domain groups work fine.
Users > Child or separate Trusted Domain Groups added to the Software Portal > These Groups do not work.