Failover support in MC is similar to what customers are used to seeing in Director.
- One device is designated as the primary (Active) the other is designated as the secondary (Passive) device
- The secondary replicates data from the primary using secure SSH
- Replication of data is near real time
- Only the primary can be used to manage devices
- Failover support can be configured on both two physical devices or on two virtual devices, however Symantec recommends using VMotion for failover support in a virtual environment. (One advantage to using VMotion in this scenario is that the customer only needs to purchase 1 MC license)
See the "Configure Management Center Failover" in the Configuration & Management Guide (DOC10539)
Note: when using the builtin failover feature, as opposed to VMmotion, licensing information and system settings are not transferred during failover replication.