Use these troubleshooting tips to determine why FDR data is not being collected:
1. Make sure the required services are running:
- The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.2 and IntelligenceCenter services must both be running on the server where IntelligenceCenter is installed.
- The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.2, DataCollector, and CollectorAgent services must all be running on the server where DataCollector is installed.
2. Make sure that DataCollector and the PacketShapers are configured to use a time server and that the current time is in sync.
- For instructions on checking the SNTP server configuration and the current time on the PacketShapers, refer to Modify Date and Time Settings in PacketGuide for PacketWise.
- To check the SNTP server configuration and the current time on DataCollector, check the Windows Date and Time Properties dialog box on the server where DataCollector is installed.
- For best results, configure the PacketShapers to use the DataCollector as their SNTP server.
3. Check for connectivity problems:
- Make sure that DataCollector and IntelligenceCenter can ping each other (if they're installed on separate servers).
- Make sure DataCollector and the PacketShapers can ping each other.
- Make sure IntelligenceCenter and the PacketShapers can ping each other.
4. Make sure the PacketShapers are emitting FDR to DataCollector:
- For instructions on how to configure the PacketShapers to emit FDR, refer to Define Flow Detail Record Collectors in PacketGuide for PacketWise.
- Make sure the Record Type you configure the PacketShaper to emit is either Packeteer-2 or NetFlow-5 (DataCollector does not support Packeteer-1).
- Make note of the UDP port number the PacketShapers are using to emit FDR (9800 is the default port used by the PacketShapers and by DataCollector). Make sure your firewall is not blocking the port.
- Make sure that the PacketShaper is not configured to emit Intermediate FDRs. Intermediate FDRs are not supported by DataCollector and will be dropped. For information on checking the type of FDRs the PacketShapers are emitting, refer to Enable Intermediate FDRs in PacketGuide for PacketWise.
- Make sure that UDP traffic is not being dropped by a policy on the PacketShapers.
- Make sure there is traffic running through the PacketShapers.
5. Verify the PacketShaper configuration information from within IntelligenceCenter:
- Make sure that the PacketShaper has been added to the Network Topology.
- Select the PacketShaper object in the Network Topology and verify that the Software Version, Serial Number, IP Address, and Port values are correct. If this information is not correct, you should remove the PacketShaper from IntelligenceCenter and readd it after verifying connectivity between the devices.
6. Verify that the DataCollector configuration from within IntelligenceCenter is correct:
- Make sure DataCollector has been added to the Network Topology.
- On the DataCollector Configuration tab, make sure that the FDR data port number matches the port number you set on the PacketShapers.
- On the DataCollector Data Sources tab, make sure that the PacketShapers have been added as data sources and that the Packeteer-2 and/or NetFlow-5 checkboxes are checked.
- Make sure the DataCollector has been running for at least 30 minutes.