The Asset Management User Guide discusses how to create Purchase Requests, Purchase Orders, Software Purchases, and Software Licenses. Purchase Requests and Purchase Orders are closely associated, and Software Purchases and Software Licenses are closely associated, but it is not clear how Purchase Requests and Purchase Orders can be associated to Software Licenses and Software Purchases.
It is possible to link Software Purchase to Purchase Order through the following method (see the user guide for detailed instructions).
1. Create a Purchase Request (will require a catalog item and catalog first)
2. Generate a Purchase Order from the Purchase Request
3. Receive the Purchase Order to create a Software Purchase (will require a stockroom)
4. Create a Software License from the Manage>Software page (which will automatically create an additional Software Purchase that will not be used)
5. Edit the Software License from the Manage>Assets page to remove the additional Software Purchase and add the Software Purchase created from the Purchase Order)
6. Delete the additional Software Purchase