Information on how to enable Sender DNS IP reputation on Symantec Messaging Gateway for Service Providers (SMG-SP) can be found in the product's Implementation Guide, starting at page 59.
- Ensure the SMG-SP Server has full Internet DNS connectivity
- On the SMG-SP server, edit the configuration file bmiconfig.xml and apply the following changes.
- Locate the "spamhunter" module section, and change settings to reflect the ones below:
- Locate the following entry and set it to true:
- Locate the following entry and change it to the desired action:
<filtering_policy name="static-opl" desc="static opl" type="consent" visible="false" enabled="true">
- Consider increasing the logging level of the component "bmserver" to INFO for better troubleshooting
- Restart all SMG-SP services
The following sample section from bmserver log shows the events related to emails matching DNS Reputation policies:
2015-07-10T09:45:54Z (INFO:5623.3249850112):  A message from <[email protected]> source <external> to <[email protected]> using recipient's group policy <Default> returned Disposition: <opl> triggering filtering policy <static opl> with destination <Subject: [DNSREP]%s>.