Mac hostname must be explicitly set using the
scutil --set ComputerName yourcomputer
scutil --set HostName yourcomputer
In addition to setting the hostname you will need to run the additional script to protect the environment and stop auto mac merging
Please use the following script
sudo aex-helper agent -s MachineID ignore_resource_keys "fqdn, macaddress, uniqueid, name.domain, adnamedomain"
This is outlined in the KB below
A third addition that can be made to help with this issue is outlined in the following KB about DNS/DHCP records
Note that the IT Management Suite 7.6 HF7 release introduces an option to configure which resource keys the ULM agent can send.
You can do that in the Symantec Management Console, at the following locations:
- On the Targeted Agent Settings page, on the UNIX/Linux/Mac tab
- In the Agent Installation Settings dialog box, on the Agent Settings tab
- Install ITMS.
- Push agent to 1 windows computer that is on the domain.
- Push the agent to 1 MAC computer that has the computer name value set only.
- After resource create has been down on both and configuration received turn off the windows and mac computers and delete the IP address assignment from the DHCP but NOT DNS.
- Verify the DNS record still exists with the Windows name.
- Start up the MAC and allow it to grab the IP previously assigned to the windows computer.
- Send in basic inventory on the mac and verify the hostname using the hostname command on the mac.
- Start up the windows computer and allow the basic inventory to be sent.
- Verify through the resource key table the mac and the windows GUID's are still 2 separate computers, and that the windows computer was not merged with the MAC.